AnyConnect + Windows 8 ?

Unanswered Question
Mar 19th, 2012

Hi,

I wanted to test AnyConnect on Windows 8

I got an error when "checking profiles updates".

When I put a xml profile file on C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile , I got an error "Failed to load preferences"

Has someone succeeded in connecting AnyConnect on Windows 8?

Is there an incompatibility? (and no workaround?)

Thanks,

Patrick

I have this problem too.
2 votes
Average Rating: 5 (4 ratings)
bkcisco2112 Sun, 04/01/2012 - 21:49

Same question. My employer provides AnyConnect for VPN access. When running under Windows 8 consumer preview it appears to connect successfully but fails on the "checking updates" phase. Apparently no way to turn off the update checking. I was hoping this time would be different as far as a new windows version requiring a new series of hoop jumping to get Cisco client to work.

HSChronic Wed, 04/04/2012 - 06:04

Found this on another blog post, so I won't take credit for it. Just put the following in a .REG file and import it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpnva]

"DisplayName"="Cisco AnyConnect VPN Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64"

brian.wing Mon, 08/20/2012 - 17:22

As an FYI, I had the 32 bit windows 8 enterprise and I modified this DisplayName key and removed the garbage characters before the Cisco... part and left off the x64 and was able to successfully connect afterward.

Very very odd that changing the display name string value would have this effect...

--Brian

patoberli Wed, 08/29/2012 - 05:11

Which versions of anyconnect did you try?

There is also a new 3.1.x version out. I haven't yet tested any of them.

usamaifti Thu, 11/15/2012 - 08:59

Solution provided by you works for me using Windows 8 Pro

Open Regedit through the run command.

1) Browse to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpnva]

2) Modify the value of the field "DisplayName" to "Cisco AnyConnect VPN Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64"

3) Done the connection should work now.

bstaples Sat, 12/08/2012 - 08:39

Changing the adapter name worked like a champ.  Thanks!

tominmaine Tue, 11/20/2012 - 06:00

Editing the registry worked for me, thanks for the post!  Ver 2.5.3055 x64

psd Thu, 08/30/2012 - 07:23

To utilize AnyConnect for VPN on Windows 8, please use 3.0MR8 or 3.1. No special workarounds are required for these versions.

Best Regards,

Pete Davis

AnyConnect Team

Cisco Systems, Inc.

ac-mobile-feedback@cisco.com

ckelly@hsutx.edu Tue, 10/02/2012 - 15:02

It's 5PM here and the Help Desk people just bailed out of the building, so I bookmarked this thread and will attempt to get details in the morning.  Thanks for the quick response.

patoberli Tue, 10/02/2012 - 22:39

Hi ckelly

We also have now a few Windows 8 clients (around a hand full) and also released that AnyConnect Version to them (by download from a specific website). For them it's so far working fine, no more error messages.

ckelly@hsutx.edu Tue, 10/02/2012 - 14:58

Have 3.1.00495 loaded and it does not work with Win8.  Getting many complaints, just telling them it's not supported yet.  So what is the deal?  Sorry - when it gets to me, it's just whining without details.  If I get an error message or something more than "Tried it, doesn't work", I'll update.

network770 Mon, 11/19/2012 - 17:24

Can you please provide the link to download Anyconnect for Win8.  Thx

todd.rhodes Wed, 06/12/2013 - 14:39

Use the latest version? lol, I can't even get it!

I bought a ISA570W IPS 6 months ago that came with version 2.5. I tried to download the latest version from Cisco site and it required the serial number of my unit. Provided it and didn't work so called Cisco who told me that I have to have ANOTHER support contract in order to recieve the download. Thats a disgusting attitude. I payed for this unit and now might as well bif it away because I cannot even get Cisco's own VPN software which is the only one that will work for VPNing into this unit! Ripoff!

If anyone could provide me a link to where I could get this softwarte somewhere else would be helpfull...please...

Actually I don't understand why Cisco insists that this download be protected. I mean what else could you use this software for other than VPNing to a cisco device?..sheesh.

ckelly@hsutx.edu Wed, 10/03/2012 - 06:37

Since this is the f o o t b a l l season, I call Illegal motion by the Help Desk.  There is no problem and 3.1 apparently does work with Win 8.  The error I received this morning was that the VPN client wont start from a remote desktop session.  When I got that, I responded  "Yea, that's right."   I apologize for putting the keyboard in gear before all the details had been loaded up.  So I'm back to the one user out of many that can't get AnyConnect to work on his Win 7 laptop but won't bring the machine in to have it re-imaged or leave it with me to do detailed debugging.    Ya'll have a great day and thanks.

camorris0001 Sat, 11/03/2012 - 07:38

Patrick Sheehan post helped me restore operability. Thanks Patrick.

Charles Morris

christophers74 Tue, 11/06/2012 - 11:13

Charles,

What version of AnyConnect are you using?  I have 3.1.00495 and still cannot get it to work.

Thanks!

psd Tue, 11/06/2012 - 11:22

We recommend 3.1MR1 or 3.0MR10. If it is failing with a Host Scan error, this is because your head-end Host Scan is out of date. If it's failing with a different error, please email us a DART (Diagnostics bundle) at ac-mobile-feedback@cisco.com and we will be glad to investigate for you.

psd Mon, 11/19/2012 - 19:22

3.0MR10 and 3.1MR1 are both available for download from www.cisco.com/go/anyconnect by clicking Software Download. To access the SW, you must have Cisco support (SMARTnet). Your IT department should have access to the software for you.

patoberli Mon, 11/19/2012 - 23:40

Hi Peter

Could you please use the 3.0.xxxxx and 3.1.xxxxx numbering system instead of MRxx? At least I as a customer only see the long version numbering on the download portal and have nowhere a reference to which version you are actually referencing.

Thanks

usamaifti Mon, 11/19/2012 - 11:07

I am using 2.5 with Windows 8 64 and it works fine after the registry editing that I posted above.

psd Tue, 11/20/2012 - 06:34

For pre-install:

3.1MR1 is: anyconnect-win-3.1.01065-pre-deploy-k9.iso

3.0MR10 is: anyconnect-win-3.0.10057-pre-deploy-k9.iso

hogam0001 Sat, 12/01/2012 - 16:14

Can you please send me the link too? I use Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client version 3.0.2052 and it worked fine on Windows 7 32 bit. I just updated to Windows 8 ENT 32 bit. Now it does not work. Hostscan error occurs always when to connect.

Thank you.

psd Sun, 12/02/2012 - 12:44

Your admin will need to correct this by updating the Host Scan version on the head-end.  At the same time, they should update the head-end version 3.1MR1 (3.1MR2 should be out soon too, as well as an updated 3.0MR). 

www.cisco.com/go/anyconnect

ndarSCSE1 Tue, 01/15/2013 - 08:28

Had the same issue with version 3.0.08057 and resolved it by adding the following lines to the file

C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\

AnyConnectLocalPolicy.XML - add it at the bottom, right above the last line "

"

false       

*..com

Still checking why that solved it, but thought it is worth the share...

Ints.Meijers_2 Sun, 01/27/2013 - 10:29

Try version 3.1.02026

For me it worked.

I was using old client. Then tried this solution proposed earlier.

1) Browse to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpnva]

2) Modify the value of the field "DisplayName" to "Cisco AnyConnect VPN Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64"

That didn't help, so I downloaded latest build and it worked. Mind you that I didn't unistall old client and didn't check if the registry key has been modified by new client.

tjansheplers Mon, 03/25/2013 - 12:50

Ok, for all who still gets the issue after modifying their register, updating to Anyconnect 3.x and/or installing the certificate in specific places, this might help.  I was able to get it running but it took some time to do it.

1) Uninstall Cisco AnyConnect

2) Open up the registry and search for anything that says "Cisco" and delete it. Note: There's A LOT of them.

3) Reboot

4) Install the updated Cisco AnyConnect (I had v3.1.02040)

5) Try to connect to Cisco AnyConnect.

6) It might give you an error that says it is Untrusted.  Go to the Settings in the AnyConnect and uncheck "Block connections to untrusted servers".

7) Try to connect again and you should be able to get in.

jwolf Fri, 06/07/2013 - 05:52

Is there any chance of a Windows RT client in the future?

psd Fri, 06/07/2013 - 06:16

This is not possible with the exising RT OS.  If the OS were to change in the future, we would look in to providing this functionality.

bhebertson1 Mon, 07/15/2013 - 16:10

Hi All,

I have a very simlar issue. Windows 8 Anyconnect verison 3.0.07059. I get this error.

"Failed to download AnyConnect VPN Profile because AnyConnect cannot confirm it is connected to your secure gateway. The local network may not be trustworthy. A VPN connection cannot be established."

The gateway is accessieble I can log into it and download the client again for reinstall.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

raulbolaos Mon, 01/27/2014 - 13:26

Alguien quien me colabore por favor

en realidad es de caracter urgente...

enia instalado como sistema operativo  windows7, y tenia instalado cisco annyconect client

una vpn del cliente y me trabajada normalmente, pero instale windows 8 y a lo que trato de conectarme

me sale el siguiente error         unable to establish vpn

he buscado por mas de un mes la solucion a este problema y no lo puedo solucionar he desisntalado la vpn

he cambiado la clave de registro

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpnva]

DisplayName"="Cisco AnyConnect VPN Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64

y no consigo conectarme siempre me sale ese mensaje unable to establish vpn y desinstalandola me salio

primero otro mensaje que tocaba instalar los drivers algo asi y despues me salio otra vez el mismo mensaje

unable to establish vpn.

psd Tue, 01/28/2014 - 07:09

You will want to upgrade to AnyConnect 3.1MR5. The version you are attempting to utiize is not supported on Windows 8 / 8.1.

raulbolaos Mon, 01/27/2014 - 12:19

Hola necesito de su ayuda

tenia instalado como sistema operativo  windows7, y tenia instalado cisco annyconect client

una vpn del cliente y me trabajada normalmente, pero instale windows 8 y a lo que trato de conectarme

me sale el siguiente error         unable to establish vpn

he buscado por mas de un mes la solucion a este problema y no lo puedo solucionar he desisntalado la vpn

he cambiado la clave de registro

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpnva]

DisplayName"="Cisco AnyConnect VPN Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64

y no consigo conectarme siempre me sale ese mensaje unable to establish vpn y desinstalandola me salio

primero otro mensaje que tocaba instalar los drivers algo asi y despues me salio otra vez el mismo mensaje

unable to establish vpn.

necesito de su ayuda ya que no se a quien mas recurrir.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted March 19, 2012 at 9:11 AM
Stats:
Replies:37 Avg. Rating:5
Views:189184 Votes:2
Shares:2
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard