Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect + Windows 8 ?

Patrick Tran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I wanted to test AnyConnect on Windows 8

I got an error when "checking profiles updates".

When I put a xml profile file on C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile , I got an error "Failed to load preferences"

Has someone succeeded in connecting AnyConnect on Windows 8?

Is there an incompatibility? (and no workaround?)

Thanks,

Patrick

39 Replies 39

bkcisco2112
Level 1
Level 1

Same question. My employer provides AnyConnect for VPN access. When running under Windows 8 consumer preview it appears to connect successfully but fails on the "checking updates" phase. Apparently no way to turn off the update checking. I was hoping this time would be different as far as a new windows version requiring a new series of hoop jumping to get Cisco client to work.

Found this on another blog post, so I won't take credit for it. Just put the following in a .REG file and import it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpnva]

"DisplayName"="Cisco AnyConnect VPN Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64"

As an FYI, I had the 32 bit windows 8 enterprise and I modified this DisplayName key and removed the garbage characters before the Cisco... part and left off the x64 and was able to successfully connect afterward.

Very very odd that changing the display name string value would have this effect...

--Brian

Which versions of anyconnect did you try?

There is also a new 3.1.x version out. I haven't yet tested any of them.

Solution provided by you works for me using Windows 8 Pro

Open Regedit through the run command.

1) Browse to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpnva]

2) Modify the value of the field "DisplayName" to "Cisco AnyConnect VPN Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64"

3) Done the connection should work now.

Changing the adapter name worked like a champ.  Thanks!

Editing the registry worked for me, thanks for the post!  Ver 2.5.3055 x64

Peter Davis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To utilize AnyConnect for VPN on Windows 8, please use 3.0MR8 or 3.1. No special workarounds are required for these versions.

Best Regards,

Pete Davis

AnyConnect Team

Cisco Systems, Inc.

ac-mobile-feedback@cisco.com

Have 3.1.00495 loaded and it does not work with Win8.  Getting many complaints, just telling them it's not supported yet.  So what is the deal?  Sorry - when it gets to me, it's just whining without details.  If I get an error message or something more than "Tried it, doesn't work", I'll update.

What is the specific problem you are experiencing? Please mail us the details at ac-mobile-feedback@cisco.com so that we can assist in resolving your problem.

It's 5PM here and the Help Desk people just bailed out of the building, so I bookmarked this thread and will attempt to get details in the morning.  Thanks for the quick response.

Hi ckelly

We also have now a few Windows 8 clients (around a hand full) and also released that AnyConnect Version to them (by download from a specific website). For them it's so far working fine, no more error messages.

Can you please provide the link to download Anyconnect for Win8.  Thx

Use the latest version? lol, I can't even get it!

I bought a ISA570W IPS 6 months ago that came with version 2.5. I tried to download the latest version from Cisco site and it required the serial number of my unit. Provided it and didn't work so called Cisco who told me that I have to have ANOTHER support contract in order to recieve the download. Thats a disgusting attitude. I payed for this unit and now might as well bif it away because I cannot even get Cisco's own VPN software which is the only one that will work for VPNing into this unit! Ripoff!

If anyone could provide me a link to where I could get this softwarte somewhere else would be helpfull...please...

Actually I don't understand why Cisco insists that this download be protected. I mean what else could you use this software for other than VPNing to a cisco device?..sheesh.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: