Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS to CUCM Cluster

ryan_oconnell
Level 3
Level 3

Hello all,

Currently I'm tying in a single VCSc into a Cluster of 3 CUCM servers. I'm using  the following guide as a template for the integration Cisco_VCS_and_CUCM_Deployment_Guide_CUCM_6-1_7_8_and_X7-1. In Appendix 5 it talks about how to do this when there are more than 1 CUCM server in your environment. There are 2 methods which really are not to different from one another where you must "Quote"

Set the Cluster Fully Qualified Domain Name to the same domain as the video network, for example vcs.domain. This parameter defines one or more Fully Qualified Domain Names (FQDNs) for this cluster. Multiple FQDNs must be separated by a space. Requests containing URLs (for example, SIP calls) whose host portion matches any of the FQDNs in this parameter will be recognized as a request destined for this cluster and/or devices attached to it.

My question is "What impact will this have on the CUCM Cluster?"

In my situation. CUCM FQDN =

CUCM01.site.example.internal

CUCM02.site.example.internal

CUCM03.site.example.internal

My VCS endpoints are using a domain called

vc.example.com

So if I change this parameter to match vc.example.com as it instructs to do so in the guide how will this effect other DNS dependancies for CUCM

CUCM also has other SIP integrations asside from VCS for example Exchange 2010 for Voicemail how will changing this setting affect other services

Thanks

4 Replies 4

jsmckinlay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ryan,

Sorry to ask a question of your question!

Did you find out what the impact of this was? I am in a similar position but don't want to change the parameter as not sure if it needs CUCM restarts for example, currently our CUCM parameters are blank as we don't use SIP in this way.

I have always questioned why the call manager needs to be in the same domain as the VCS. In my situation I have 2 CUCM clusters and 1 VCS and want to route between to/from the VCS with both clusters.

I would have assumed the VCS should be in a domian vcs.internal.domain and the each cluster in it's own domain ie cluster1.internal.domain and cluster2.internal.domain

That way you can make rules to router certain dialled digits to a specific cluster.

Having not made the change yet I don't know if there is a reason why the CUCM needs to be in the same domain, can't see how the dns svr records can tell which cucm cluster to route to if they are called the same!

Jon

Hi Jon,

I did end up opening a TAC case just to verify that there would be no service impacts. TAC verified this with me and I proceeded to add the "enterprise parameter of Cluster Fully Qualified Domain Name" to match that of VCS. I did not have to change any DNS settings on CUCM just this enterprise parameter.

This did the trick for us.

Ryan

Ryan

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think I'll follow and speak to TAC to see if there is a reason that the CUCM needs to be in the same domain as the VCS itself as this does not seem scalable to multiple domains.

Glad it worked OK for you, not so nervous now about changing it on a live cluster!

Chees

Jon

Jon

To clarify I did "not" have to change the CUCM to be in the SAME domain. I only had to set an Enterprise Parameter to accept SIP invites using a domain name on behalf of the CUCM cluster. In summary leave the DNS settings alone you don't need to change them, you just have to specify the domains you are using on VCS under enterprise parameters.

See help notes from below

This parameter defines one or more Fully Qualified Domain Names  (FQDN) for this cluster. Multiple FQDNs must be separated by a space.  Wildcards can be specified within an FQDN using an asterisk (*).  Examples are cluster-1.rtp.cisco.com and *.cisco.com. Requests  containing URLs (for example, SIP calls) whose host portion matches any  of the FQDNs in this parameter will be recognized as a request destined  for this cluster and/or devices attached to it.
   Maximum length:                255
   Allowed values:                Provide one or more fully qualified domain names (FQDN), or partial  FQDNs using the * wildcard (for example, cluster-1.cisco.com or  *.cisco.com). Multiple FQDNs must be separated by a space. The following  characters are allowed: any upper or lower case letter (a-zA-Z), any  number (0-9), hyphen (-), asterisk (*), or dot (.) The dot serves as a  domain label separator. Domain labels must not start with a hyphen. The  last label (for example, .com) must not start with a number. Abc.1om  serves as an example of an invalid domain.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: