Jabber fails on start

Unanswered Question
Mar 19th, 2012

Get an error message that says I need to update my graphics driver, but no later version of the driver is currently available.

I have this problem too.
1 vote
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
billlundin Sat, 03/24/2012 - 12:02

Same here.  Working with a Dell Inspiron, about 1.5 yrs old, W7, Dual Core 2.2.  No updates seem available.  Please advise.

pbystrov Mon, 03/26/2012 - 03:49

Joining the club...

Same error - old graphics driver.

Updated the drivers through Lenovo Update untility, but that didn't help.

Please, advise.

RobertFee Wed, 03/28/2012 - 14:17

I downloaded the client tonight and have the same problem.  I'm running an HP laptop with 32 bit Windows 7.  All device drivers are up to date.  PC is about 18 months old.

jrandby Thu, 03/29/2012 - 06:08

Hi this is a known issue:

Jabber Video fails to install on Windows with the message: New features in this version of Jabber Video are not supported by your computer´s graphics driver.

To fix this, please try to use the Windows Device driver update, which should automatically install the newest graphics driver for your graphics card. If windows update does not find the correct driver, please visit the support/download page for the manufacturer of your laptop or display driver. E.g. if you have a Dell laptop with an Intel display driver, you should first check for the latest drivers from Dell, as they may be specific for your laptop, then check your graphics card manufacturer (typically ATI/NVIDIA/Intel).

Let me know how it goes

BR

Johan

pbystrov Thu, 03/29/2012 - 08:15

Hi Johan,

Done it by installing Lenovo System Update utility and updating the graphics driver - that didn't solve the issue unfortunately - same error.

miwilusz Mon, 04/02/2012 - 11:16

Jabber Video requires OpenGL 1.2+ support.  If you post your specific workstation and graphic card, I can help you dig around for the drivers.  You may have more luck downloading drivers directly from Nvidia or Intel.

-mike

pbystrov Mon, 04/02/2012 - 23:53

Thanks a lot MIchael!

I have Lenovo X201 laptop ThinkPad X201 (3626-BY4):

i5-520M(2.4GHz), 4GB RAM, 128GB Solid State Drive, 12.1in 1280x800 LCD, Intel HD Graphics, Intel 802.11agn wireless, WWAN option, Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure Chip, Camera, 6c Li-Ion

Windows 7 Enterprise, 64 bit

As I wrote earlier - Lenovo System Update was run, drivers were updated - but that didn't help.

I am also using Cisco PrecisionHD camera for video.

Please, advise for the best driver.

jrandby Tue, 04/03/2012 - 00:03

Hi

We have seen that Lenovo X201 has been successfully updated by using windows update and selecting the optional updates. Please try this. It is possible that the Lenovo system update is not using the latest drivers.

BR

Johan

jfaltys1963 Fri, 09/28/2012 - 14:30

Have you had any success with Dell Inspiron 1545?

We have been running Movi/Jabber for the last couple of years.  It has been working fine up through 4.2.  4.4 will not install because of Jabber  Video fails to install on Windows with the message: New features in  this version of Jabber Video are not supported by your computer´s  graphics driver.

I see nothing in the release notes that indicate there are new requirements for video.  OpenGL 1.2 has been a long time requirement.  Are there new requirements?

jrandby Mon, 10/01/2012 - 03:45

OpenGL is a cross platform graphics framework used in Jabber Video to ensure a consistent cross platform experience. Jabber Video is using a small subset of OpenGL features, limited to the OpenGL 1.2 featureset, released in March 16, 1998. Between version 4.2 and 4.3 of Jabber Video (aka Movi), the OpenGL requirements changed due to an internal third party component upgrade (Clutter). Still, Jabber Video is only using the 1.2 featureset. The consequence of this is that a working Movi 4.2 on one computer may stop working on after upgrading to 4.3 (rebranded to Jabber Video) or later. You will see an error message asking to upgrade graphics driver. Failure to INSTALL Jabber Video will have to be troubleshooted, this issue will NOT affect the installation of Jabber Video. When Jabber Video is started, a small test is performed to check if the graphics functions are working. Some drivers result in a failing test, and the error message will be displayed. Restarting the PC or re-installing Jabber Video will not help, the only solutions are to upgrade the graphics driver or downgrade to Movi 4.2.

Affected users

We have seen that Lenovo computers with Intel chipset are prone to this problem. In most cases we can make Jabber Video work by changing to a newer driver. In cases where no updated driver is available because of special restrictions related to a laptop manufacturer, the only solution may be to stick with Movi 4.2.

How to identify

You can identify the graphics driver version by looking in the display information in control panel. Device Manager - Display Adapters - Mobile Intel 4 Series Express - Driver - Driver Version.

Example: Lenovo X200 and X201 running Win7 32-bit Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family

• 8.15.10.2021 released 14.12.2009 NOT OK
  • 8.15.10.2182 released 19.07.2010 OK
  • 8.15.10.2413 released 03.06.2011 OK
  • 8.15.10.2555 released 19.10.2011 OK

How to fix

• If the driver version you have is NOT listed as OK above, try to upgrade your driver.

Windows Update

• Many users report that they can use the Windows Update to get the latest driver. They need to enable "optional updated" in order to achieve this.
  • Other users report that Windows Update says "You have the latest driver", but can still resolve the issue by upgrading manually:

Manually Installing the Intel driver

BR

Johan

TheVeteran Tue, 03/19/2013 - 13:43

Here is my question.

How many computers have this situation and who are they?

Chris Swinney Thu, 03/21/2013 - 05:01

There is also an ongoing issue with laptops that have multiple video chipset's and/or use the NVidia Optimus technology enabled in the BIOS.

The NVidia Optimus Technology allows for battery life extension yet maintain performance by switching video chipset and mange the GPUs.

Our Dell Latitude E6520 and E6420 laptops all use an inbuilt Intel HD Graphics 3000 chipset, plus a discrete NVidia 4200M card. We also utilise a docking station to enable the laptops to be use in a desktop environment. An external Tandberg PrecisionHD USB HD Camera or a Microsoft LifeCam is utilise via the docking station, and the laptops integrated webcam is utilised when away from the dock.

The issue comes when you switch from one mode to the other (docked/undocked). Without Optimus enabled, essentially the laptop see on the NVidia chipset and the switch from one camera to the other is relatively seamless. However, with Optimus enabled, Jabber simply hangs when it tries to connect the video feed.

Of course the later is highly irritating as the Jabber client will still be running in the background so will accept a call and then hang, meaning that you have to manually close the app, restart and then re-establish the call.

We notified Cisco (via our partner) of this bug over 2 years ago but unfortunately nothing has been done to resolve the issue. We have other applications that can take video feeds from the different cameras and continue to function correctly with Optimus enabled, so it is possible to program for such occurrences.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted March 19, 2012 at 6:37 PM
By ania
Stats:
Replies:13 Avg. Rating:
Views:7105 Votes:1
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard