cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Set Bandwidth Priority by MAC Addresses on RV016 is it possible?

nicolasforand
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

Thank you to take some of your time to read me and maybe answer me.

I currently have the following network structure, which work fine:

untitled.PNG   

The only bandwidth management configuration I did in the Cisco E1000 router is to set the QOS, giving high priority to the 5 SIP Phones mac addresses.

The problem:

I purchased a Small Business Cisco router RV016 because the company keep expanding so they will add more SIP Phones and PCs.

In the new router configurations, there is no way to do like I did on the E1000 I just want to be able to set high priority to the SIP Phones mac addresses.

What happens when I use the new router (RV016) is that, sometime you dial a number and the phone do a busy signal and indicate "Call failed" or sometime people call in and there is only 3 phones ringing.

I tried port forwarding.. disabling firewall.. SPI.. I tried access rule.. whatever I do doesn't fix the issue.

When I put the Cisco E1000 back everything goes well.

Is there something I should know?

I'm using the latest firmware: RV0XX-v4.1.1.01-sp.bin

Can't wait to hear from you, thank you

-Nick

6 Replies 6

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Nick,

Does the phones register to an internal pbx or external pbx?

Are you configuration dual wans on RV016? or only just one WAN?

Give us a idea on device that are in your topology? Detailed as possible.

Jasbryan

I'm pretty new to the VOIP.. I didn't install the phones myself and the company who did, changed the admin password on the phones so I can't connect to them(admin/22222). I just sent an email to the company who did install initially the voip system to request for PBX information.

I'm pretty sure it is an external PBX since I can't locate any piece of hardware that could be it.. Or maybe one of these phones can have a PBX internally is that something possible?

I'm configurated with only 1 WAN.

Devices are:

-5 Aastral SIP Phones

-5 Computers 1 Laptop

-2 HP Printer

-1x switch Asus GX-D1081

-1x WRT54G (using as switch and wireless)

Thank you very much for your fast reply Jasbryan.

EDIT:  Anybody can give me direction to information on how to allow good communication for my VOIP to work correctly with my Cisco RV016 router?

What method I need to use on rv016 to set bandwidth priority on my phones. Like QoS..I tried bandwidth management type priority. It didn't solve my problem.

Also I need to know the right way to allow the ports to communicate. there is access rule.. port forwarding.. I'm lost!..

It is so simple with the E1000.. I just had to activate the QOS and set high priority to the phone mac addresses..I wish we had that option with the RV016

Anyone ? please!

Nicolas,

Please call into Cisco Support Center for Quicker resolution(Support Numbers)

Jasbryan

Ok I will do if I can't find out.

Anyone else might give me a hint? How to properly forward,open,allow.. communication between my VOIP phones to the external PBX.. and give them the highest priority for bandwidth usage? I have a Cisco RV016.. thank you

Appendix F of the Administration Guide has an example of using the bandwidth management feature to ensure the quality of VoIP traffic.

Alternatively you could use the protocol binding feature to bind the IP addresses of VoIP phones to a particular WAN port that is dedicated for VoIP. (You could first bind a MAC address to an IP address in the DHCP config page.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: