cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility groups, ACS 5.x and 802.1x-authentication

rhub
Level 1
Level 1

At a customer site I've a large Wireless LAN deployment, using 2 WLC 5508. To provide optimal roaming, I configured mobility groups.

802.1x authentication is provided via ACS 5.3.

When shutting down the primary WLC, the clients are moved perfectly to the 2nd 5508 and back, when the 1st controller comes back.

When loosing connection to the primary ACS 5.3, the clients immediately start to authenticate against the 2nd ACS, but when the 1st ACS comes back, the clients are not "switched back" to this device for further authentication. Also WLAN clients new joining the WLAN will still use the 2nd ACS for authentication, even the 1st is fully up and operational.

When bringing down the 2nd ACS, the clients are not authenticating anymore, due to the fact, that they tried to use this device as authenticator regardless whether the 1st ACS ist up.

Testind 802.1x with wired clients, everything works fine - as soon as the 1st ACS server comes back, the clients are authenticating against this one, so I assume it has to do something with the configuration on the WLC's, but I did not find anything wrong.

Did anyone face the same situation or can somebody give me a hint, where to look at ?

Any tipp is very much appreciated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Justin Kurynny
Level 4
Level 4

rhub,

On you WLC CLI, try:

config radius fallback-test mode active

config radius aggressive-failover disable

Justin

... typd on tny kybrd.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

With the newer wlc code, you can set the timers to check the status if the primary. I don't remember if it started in the 6.x or 7.x. But with older code, you did have to shut or take down the secondary in order for the primary radius to take over. I never ran into any issue with the wlc not going back to the primary as king as I fail the secondary.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

many thanks for your reply to my post. I'm currently running at the latest code level and I played around with the timers but none of them seemed to work.

Regards

Roman

Justin Kurynny
Level 4
Level 4

rhub,

On you WLC CLI, try:

config radius fallback-test mode active

config radius aggressive-failover disable

Justin

... typd on tny kybrd.

Radius fall back is a god sent when you have a large network. We have 8 radius servers and you can never really know which one is actually working unless you dig into it.

Also here is a little hint if you dont config any radius servers under the WLAN security it falls back to the radius servers you have configured under SECURITY. So you could have up to 17 radius servers in rotation.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George,

I' m running 2 RADIUS servers and both of'em are configured under WLAN security and also security. But nevertheless I will check it out when I'm @ customer site again.

Regards

Roman

Hi Justin,

many thanks for the tipp which I will try when I'm @ customer site next week. I let you know afterwards.

Regards

Roman

Hi Justin,

Today entered the commands as you suggested and it works just great.

Thank you very much for the perfect hint and have a nice day

Regards

Roman

Roman,

That's great news. Thanks for letting us know an thanks for marking the answer.

Justin

... typd on tny kybrd.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: