Views
Helpful
Replies

Wondering about counter ifInOctets

Janni_Mill
Level 1
Level 1

Hello @all,

I'm just wondering about results I got from [code]snmpget -v1 -c public hostadress ifInOctets.10[/code] while downloading a lot of bytes at that port 10.

At the end my host said "1.6GBytes downloaded" and during this download I saw the counter on the switch continuously growing up from about 20.000.000 up to 80.000.000. The was no overflow. So now I'm wondering about 1.6GByte on the one hand and 60.000.000 counted octets on the other hand. Do you have an explanation for this?

TIA

Jan

1 Reply 1

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This counter won't match exactly what you would see on your host as this snmp counter is continually incrementing. SNMP counters aren't cleared by a clear counters command so you'd have to look at the deltas to see where the counter started and where it finished. Then convert octets to bytes. If this was the only thing on the interface at the time and it still doesn't match after the deltas then there may be issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: