Views
Helpful
Replies

UC560 configuring octo-line for a SPA525G

eric.ahernandez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a working setup with a customer, they have a SPA525G with a 500S espansion module for a receptionist, problem is, when configured by CCA these line is by default a dual-line, and the customer needs that phone so they can take more calls, because they lose calls segularly when the 2 lines are occupied.

I tried with CCA but there's no option for octo-line there, and I also tried it using the CLI, i removed the directory number with no ephone-dn  TAG dual-line

and add it again as octo-line with "ephone-dn  TAG octo-line" and the rest of its configuration. Sadly, this didn't work out, phone registered but didn't get the directory number and couldn't make or receive calls because of this. When doing the show ephone-dn  TAG  command it would display all the 8 channels as DOWN. So i changed it back to dual-line for now.

Is there a way to make one of these phones as octo-line? I remember reading something about the SPA525G that couldn't handle octo-lines but I don't really know if it's true. Customer can't afford to be losing calls like that so I need to know it can be done or not so I can search for an alternate solution.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Darren DeCroock
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Eric,

The SPA525G phones do not support octo-lines.  You would have to upgrade to a 7900 series phone for octo-lines.  The other option for CLI supported units, would be to configure a 2nd button on that phone with the same extension.  You would have to change the primary button to "no huntstop", and put a higher preference on the 2nd button.  Doing this is not currently supported in CCA.

Thank you,

Darren

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Darren DeCroock
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Eric,

The SPA525G phones do not support octo-lines.  You would have to upgrade to a 7900 series phone for octo-lines.  The other option for CLI supported units, would be to configure a 2nd button on that phone with the same extension.  You would have to change the primary button to "no huntstop", and put a higher preference on the 2nd button.  Doing this is not currently supported in CCA.

Thank you,

Darren

Hi Darren,

thanks a lot for your answer, I kinda figured that would be the case... could you post an example configuration for the CLI alternative configuration you mentioned? I don't really know how to configure the preference for the buttons and the "no huntstop option"

Hello Eric,

First off, let me say this.  This is for CLI supported units only.  This will cause CCA to display the information incorrectly, and making CLI changes on a CCA supported unit will void your phone support with STAC.

Below is a condensed version of what you would need.  I removed the labels, descriptions, and things like that.

ephone-dn  10  dual-line
number 201 no-reg primary
no huntstop
call-forward noan 399 timeout 20
!
!
ephone-dn  11  dual-line
number 201 no-reg primary
preference 1
call-forward busy 399
call-forward noan 399 timeout 20

ephone  1
device-security-mode none
mac-address XXXX.XXXX.XXXX
ephone-template 16
username "Cisco" password 1111
type 525G addon 1 500S
button  1:10 2:11

This would cause incoming calls to extension 201 to be routed to button 1 first, accepting 2 calls, then the next call would ring button 2.  Button 2 could then accept a 4th call, but the 5th call would be routed to voicemail.

Thank you,

Darren

Eric

I've run into this a couple times in high usage environments. In order to keep my systems CCA compliant I've worked around this two ways.

1) use BACD. It will handle the extra call volume for the receptionist and is usually a welcome feature in busy environments.

2) Point the incoming FXO/DID at a hunt group set to sequential and line up corresponding DN's on the set.

Dan

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Eric,

Another alternative is to potentially train the reception staff on how to manage ingress calls using Park slots, this is potentially another way to handle high volume call controls by placing Park Slots on a Side Cart and teaching the receptionist on how to take a second call, advise the user of being placed on hold and then allocating them to an unused Park Slot.

By doing this you are then using system resources to manage the call control and not being restricted by the phones capabilities... However it would be advisable that in future deployments if the reception is a high volume site, then you should consider a 7962 with a 7916 side cart and fully use the Octo-Line capabilities alongside the Park Slot system..

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: