Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 Routing Along with vPC Peer Link

Carl Williams
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have an environment where i have two nexus 7010 switches, along with 2 nexus 5510's. I need to run OSPF as a layer 3 routing protocol between the vpc peer links.  I have 1 link being used as a keep alive link, and 3 other links being used as a VpC link.

Can someone help me and let me know what the best practice should be for implementing a layer 3 vPC link.

1) Is it best to configure a separate Vpc VLAN i.e 1010

2) Is it best to configure a vrf context keep-alive

3) just have the management address as the peer ip's.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Please have a look at this doc on deploying L-3 routing using a separate connection:

http://bradhedlund.com/2010/12/16/routing-over-nexus-7000-vpc-peer-link-yes-and-no/

HTH

Hi Reza

Thanks for the help very useful documentation, please can help me, I know that i don't need to use spanning tree across my VPC enabled links thats understood.

But could you help me in uderstanding which stp protocol is recommended i.e. I know STP mst is more scalable than RSTP routing protocol.

My Nexus Switches will need to become the route of stp and the 5510's in my topology should always see the 7010 nexus platform switches as the route. all ports should end up forwarding advise on this would be helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card