Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA122 bridge mode provisioning

aschwanden
Level 1
Level 1

we observe the following problem if provisioning the SPA122 for bridge mode:

1. SPA122 factory default, FW 1.1.0(011)

2. SPA122 gets config file (XML) with:

<router-configuration>

<Router_Mode>0</Router_Mode>

</router-configuration>

- this should set it to "bridge" mode

3. SPA122 gets online but is not bridging between the "ETHERNET" (Yellow) port and the "INTERNET" (Blue) port, if we connect a host to the "ETHERNET" (Yellow) port we can not pass traffic to the lan segment connected to the "INTERNET" (Blue) port.

4. if now the "Bridge" setting is acknowledged from the Webif (Network Setup --> Network Service --> Submit) the SPA122 boots

5. and afterwards is working as expected (hence the "inside" and "outside" networks are bridged = belong to the same L2 domain)

my expectation would be that step 5. happens directly after step 2.

we observed a similar problem with the former FW 1.0.2(006)

any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

laharper
Community Member

Hello,

We have addressed this Bridge Mode provisioning issue in the latest pre-release of the SPA122 firmware.

Please open a case with our support center who can then provide v1.2.0(022) firmware to you.

Information can be found at the following website:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Best regards,

-Lance Harper

Cisco Systems, Inc

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

aschwanden
Level 1
Level 1

sorry, i forgot some details therefore again:

1. SPA122 factory default, FW 1.1.0(011)

2. SPA122 gets config file (XML) with:

- this should set it to "bridge" mode

3. SPA122 gets online but is not bridging between the "ETHERNET" (Yellow) port and the "INTERNET" (Blue) port, if we connect a host to the "ETHERNET" (Yellow) port we can not pass traffic to the lan segment connected to the "INTERNET" (Blue) port. - we can confirm that the SPA122 is also no longer in routing mode because no ip (DHCP) is received on the ETHERNET" (Yellow) port either.

4. if we connect to the Webif we see that the setting is reported to be "Bridge" - if now the "Bridge" setting is acknowledged from the Webif (Network Setup --> Network Service --> Submit) the SPA122 boots again

5. and afterwards is working as expected (hence the "inside" and "outside" networks are bridged = belong to the same L2 domain)

my expectation would be that step 5. happens directly after step 2.

we observed a similar problem with the former FW 1.0.2(006)

Hello,

same thing here also using firmware 1.1.0(011) : bridge mode can be configured manually via the web interface but not from provisioning.

When the SPA is provisionned with Router_Mode=0, it seems to setup for bridge mode as there is no more DHCP server on the Ethernet port, but fails to bridge between Ethernet and Internet ports.

(I also tried to force DHCP_Server=0, but same result)

The DHCP client and remote access are working ok through the Internet port.

Is there a way to properly enable the bridge mode via provisioning?

Is there a beta version of the firmware available to test? I would be interested in trying it out.

Hello,

I could try two pre-release versions (1.2.0_019 and 1.2.0_020) and the issue is still present for my configuration.

Have you been more successful or have you been able to find a workaround?

hi

i'm also still waiting for an answer and a solution from cisco.

our current "workaround" is to do a manual preprovisioning which sets the bridge mode.

if i get access to any news or solution i will post it.

rgds

michael

laharper
Community Member

Hello,

We have addressed this Bridge Mode provisioning issue in the latest pre-release of the SPA122 firmware.

Please open a case with our support center who can then provide v1.2.0(022) firmware to you.

Information can be found at the following website:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Best regards,

-Lance Harper

Cisco Systems, Inc

hello

thanks lance

and fyi frederic

i got access to the 1.2.0(022) beta release via small business support and i can confirm that in this release the "bridge mode provisioning" issue is fixed

rgds

michael

We're just now implementing bridge mode into our XML provisioning file for our SPA122 ATAs and we're experiencing the same behavior as the OP had but we're using FW version 1.2.1 (004).  The provisioning is taking hold in that if we look at the Web UI it shows bridge mode but it won't actually pass any traffic from the "WAN" port to the "LAN" port until we click submit on that page, then the two ports are bridged L2 as expected.

Did the fix from the beta version 1.2.0(022) carry into the 1.2.1 code?  I know there's the 1.3.x line of firmware out but it hasn't yet been tested with Metaswitch fully. If this fix has been reintroduced into the 1.3.x line of code I'm sorry to bring this up again and we'll formulate an upgrade path for our ATAs.

Erik

Hi Erik,

The 1.2.1(004) firmware was pretty good but the 1.3.x is much better. Last I recall from testing bridging via provisioning with 1.2.x was that it worked well. I certainly don't recall running into what you're describing.

The main reason we moved to 1.3.x firmware was due to the SPA232D (SPA3102 replacement but with DECT) in that we wanted to have a single firmware train for SPA1xx and SPA2xx.

Regards,

Patrick---

hi erik

i can confirm what patrick says:

- we used 1.2.1(004) for some time successfully with bridge mode correctly provisioned. i'm 100% positive this worked with our xml provisioning templates.

- in the mean time we moved to 1.3.1; mainly because of a outband dtmf bug in 1.2.1(004)

- we have now a very stable situation with 1.3.1 (about 1000 devices in the field)

br

michael

Could it be that the config to put it in bridge mode is being applied to the factory shipped firmware before the ATA has a chance to upgrade the firmware image?

I upgraded a few of our lab SPA122 ATAs to firmware version 1.3.2 (014) and the XML bridge mode provisioning seems to be working just fine, now.  I'll get with the rest of the team and we'll formulate an upgrade plan to get all of the rest of our customer's ATAs upgraded.

Erik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: