Views
Helpful
Replies

Gigabit Ethernet distribution system ports

Muhammad Noman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we are using Cisco WLAN controller 5508 which have 8 Gigabit Ethernet distribution system ports. Can any one tell me how to check the model number of the gigabit Ethernet distribution system ports.

Regards,

Noman

7 Replies 7

Justin Kurynny
Level 4
Level 4

Noman,

Your question doesn't make sense to me. Are you looking for the specific manufacturing component ID on the physical SFP ports on the 5508?

Please clarify or rephrase.

Justin

... typd on tny kybrd.

Justin,

I am looking for the model of SFP card.

For clarity i give you an example of computer's mother board. As all computers have mother boards but all have different make models, my computer have intel DZ68ZV mother board like wise another person have intel DX79T0.

In the same way i want to know that in 5508 what is the model of installed SFP card.

Regards,

Noman

In the same way i want to know that in 5508 what is the model of installed SFP card.

You want to know what SFP modules are supported on the 5508?  They are:  GLC-T, GLC-SX-MM, GLC-LH-SM

You want to know the EXACT chipset of the SFP ports?  I don't see the relevance of this question is to a network design.

Noman,

I’m still a little confused, sorry. Are you looking for the model of the installed SFP transceiver module or the part number of the SFP port bank itself?

Are you looking for this:

sfp.PNG

Or this:

If you want to know the transceiver module, you can look at the show port summary command. It will tell you what type of transceiver you have in there, although it won't list the exact make/model but you can figure it out. 1000BaseTX = GLC-T. 1000BaseSX = GLC-SX-MM. 1000BaseLX = GLC-LH-SM.

If you want to know the part number for the SFP bus, ports or chips themselves, then I'm at a loss for you. I guess you can take the controller apart and do a visual inspection to see if you find anything useful. Are you trying to DIY repair a dead controller or something?

Justin

Are you trying to DIY repair a dead controller or something?

Gosh, I hope not!

Justin,

I am not trying to repair a dead contoller or someting like that. I just want to know the make model  but i think i might not be able to convence you peple about that. The model number is not not important in network deployment rather it is deployed and working properly. It is for some other purpose

But thanks alot for the help.

Noman

I just want to know the make model  but i think i might not be able to convence you peple about that.

I doubt if even Cisco will tell you the specifics because this info is part of corporate secrets.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: