cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

encapsulation dot1q is not working?, 2600 Cisco router

jesserc68
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to config a 2620 Cisco router to perform subintreface (F0/0.1) for Vlan Trunk Protocol, however when I try to configure the encapsulation dot1q, I continue to receive error massage with ^ symbol below the 'c' See below, the platform version is a 12.3(26) which should be acceptable to perform an (encapsulation dot1q). The Ethernet is a fast-Ethernet 10/100 port. I also try the ISL, I receive the same massage.

Can anyone suggest what could be the problem!! 

Thank you all!!!!!

Router#config t

Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.

Router(config)#int f0/0

Router(config-if)#no ip address

Router(config-if)#no shutdown

Router(config-if)#int f0/0.1

Router(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1q 1                     

^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker. Router(config-subif)#

==================================================================================================== Router#show version

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.3(26), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport Copyright (c) 1986-2008 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Mon 17-Mar-08 15:23 by dchih ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(3r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Router uptime is 5 minutes System returned to ROM by power-on System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.123-26.bin" cisco 2620 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x600) with 28672K/4096K bytes of memory . Processor board ID JAD05440GAN (1508240486) M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49 Bridging software. X.25 software, Version 3.0.0. 1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 1 Serial network interface(s) 32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Router#

==================================================================================================

Router#sh flash

System flash directory:

File  Length  Name/status  

1  7754580  c2600-i-mz.123-26.bin [7754644 bytes used, 633960 available, 8388604 total]

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Router#

34 Replies 34

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this 10Mb interface? 

Dot1q is supported on fastethernet interfaces.

HTH

Is this 10Mb interface?

No Reza it's a FastEthernet.

Besides, there's a particular IOS which allows  Ethernet interface on a 2600 router to support 802.1q trunking.  Don't remember which particular version.

Yes.  The only thing I remember was that it has to be on a "T" train.  But yes, I think it's this IOS version.

Does anyone know where I can find the IOS verison Cisco iOS-c2600-is-mz.121-18.bin???  I've looked everywhere, but am having a hard time finding it.

Thanks

Do you happen to know what IOS support the encapsulation dot1q? I follow the  link, Raze posted, however there wasn't no  specific IOS.

Jesse

1.  Your router has a FastEthernet so it supports 802.1q outright.

2.  Your IOS is newer compared to the 12.2(2)T.

Can you try the command "encapsulation dot1q 30"?

Router(config)# Router(config)#int f0/0 Router(config-if)#no ip address Router(config-if)#no shutdown Router(config-if)#int f0/0.1 Router(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1q 30 ? % Unrecognized command Router(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1q 30                       ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker. Router(config-subif)# jesse

Hey Reza,

I haven't played with the 2600 for 7 years but does Jesse here need a "T" train?

I have a 2621 and its Version 12.3(13) and I can sub interface with no problems...

its even older

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ROM: C2600 Software (C2600-IK9O3S3-M), Version 12.3(13), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Did you enable ip routing ... ? I wonder if that has something to do with it ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I'm not sure about enable ip routing, what is the config or procedure?

Jesse

Do a config t ip routing

If the command takes, then try your sub interfaces.. If it doesnt work, you need the IP code as pointed out above.

Here it once more, this is better then the one before

Router(config)#

Router(config)#int f0/0

Router(config-if)#no ip address

Router(config-if)#no shutdown

Router(config-if)#int f0/0.1

Router(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1q 30 ?

% Unrecognized command

Router(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1q 30  

^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Router(config-subif)#

Jesse

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco