Views
Helpful
Replies

CIsco 6942 'Hangs' and becomes unresponsive

Bryan Lemeer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a customer which is using about 100 Cisco phones (6941). These phones do not use anything else then hunt and pickup groups. The sales department (and a couple of other phone users) are reporting that their phone gets stuck. This means that the 'line'-button light keeps flashing red. The phone does not respond to anything you do. The screen shows the normal idle screen. The PC behind the phone keeps working. The only way to get the phone working again is to replug the network cable.

These people have been working with the phones for about 2 years without problems. We have not changed anything in the configuration (as far as I know..) and now suddenly the problems start occuring. It involves about 15 people / phones who are reporting problems.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Bryan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

HI,

I think your apache tomcat service is utilising lots of memory. And that may be cause of it.

Restart the server will be good option. Is it production environement, if yes raise tac case before doing it.

Regards

Ronak patel

Please rate helpful posts by clicking stars below the answer.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ronpatel
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Bryan,

What CUCM version you are using and what firmware you are using on phone.

Regards

Ronak Patel

Please rate helpful posts.

Hi Ronak,

We are running CUCM 8.0.3 with the default 6941 firmware (not sure which phone firmware). I tried logging into CUCM to retrieve the phone firmware version but I get the welcome screen and then it doesn't continue loading after I click on "continue to this website...".

I tried logging in via CLI but get the following:

===

login as: administrator

Last login: Mon Mar 26 08:47:10 2012 from 172.16.52.142

Command Line Interface is starting up, please wait ...

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/log/active/platform/log/cli.bin (Read-only file system)

at java.io.RandomAccessFile.open(Native Method)

at java.io.RandomAccessFile.(RandomAccessFile.java:212)

at com.cisco.iptplatform.fappend.ciscoRollingFileAppender.restoreIndex(ciscoRollingFileAppender.java:100)

at com.cisco.iptplatform.fappend.ciscoRollingFileAppender.setFile(ciscoRollingFileAppender.java:43)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperty(PropertySetter.java:196)

at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperty(PropertySetter.java:155)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.setParameter(DOMConfigurator.java:530)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseAppender(DOMConfigurator.java:182)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.findAppenderByName(DOMConfigurator.java:140)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.findAppenderByReference(DOMConfigurator.java:153)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseChildrenOfLoggerElement(DOMConfigurator.java:415)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseRoot(DOMConfigurator.java:384)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parse(DOMConfigurator.java:783)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.doConfigure(DOMConfigurator.java:666)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.doConfigure(DOMConfigurator.java:616)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.doConfigure(DOMConfigurator.java:584)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.configure(DOMConfigurator.java:687)

at sdMain.main(sdMain.java:634)

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.cisco.iptplatform.fappend.ciscoRollingFileAppender.updateIndex(ciscoRollingFileAppender.java:117)

at com.cisco.iptplatform.fappend.ciscoRollingFileAppender.nextFileName(ciscoRollingFileAppender.java:92)

at com.cisco.iptplatform.fappend.ciscoRollingFileAppender.append(ciscoRollingFileAppender.java:74)

at org.apache.log4j.AppenderSkeleton.doAppend(AppenderSkeleton.java:221)

at org.apache.log4j.helpers.AppenderAttachableImpl.appendLoopOnAppenders(AppenderAttachableImpl.java:57)

at org.apache.log4j.Category.callAppenders(Category.java:187)

at org.apache.log4j.Category.forcedLog(Category.java:372)

at org.apache.log4j.Category.info(Category.java:674)

at sdMain.main(sdMain.java:648)

log4j:ERROR No output stream or file set for the appender named [CLI_LOG].

Welcome to the Platform Command Line Interface

===

The users also report that the phone book is not working. I think this is all related.

Shall I give the CUCM server a reset via power shutdown?

Regards,

Bryan

ps. I left the SSH session open while typing this message. After about 10 minutes I got the command line to work so I'll give it a clean restart tonight.

HI,

I think your apache tomcat service is utilising lots of memory. And that may be cause of it.

Restart the server will be good option. Is it production environement, if yes raise tac case before doing it.

Regards

Ronak patel

Please rate helpful posts by clicking stars below the answer.

Thanks for the replies. I will restart CUCM tonight and get back to you tomorrow.

Bryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: