Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco LEAP Authentication patch up needed for Windows 7 64bits Home Edition

Tang-Suan Tan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all :

I have tried two PC Vista Business 32 bits and Windows 7 Home edition 64 bits for Cisco LEAP Authentication. The result is Vista Bz PC can have the option for Cisco LEAP authentication under Wireless Security option, while Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bits does not have. After select the option, it works with Cisco AP1041N LEAP authentication.

May I know that Cisco can provide the driver patch up file for LEAP authentication on Windows 7 64 bits Home Edition so that I can do wireless authentication on Cisco AP1041N?

Or, any body know a way to get this Windows 7 64 bits Home Edition to work out with LEAP authentication with Cisco AP1041N?

Many thanks in advance and best regards,

tangsuan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tang,

It seems you can not use leap unless u install intel proset supplicant which supports only intel drivers.

Chech the link

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/3084-security-wireless-cisco-leap.html

So it seems what give u the option for Cisco leap in windows vista is a software provided by intel; neither Microsoft nor Cisco.

If you have intel driver u better contact intel if you want leap built in. If not then I am not sure if anything will make leap to work built in windows. You need an independent supplicant overall.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Tang-Suan Tan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all :

I do post this similar help to Microsoft Windows 7 Networking forum and people dowm there replied to get help from Cisco as this is Cisco specific issue.

Can anybody from Cisco provide the patching file for Cisco LEAP authentication driver for Windows 7 Home Edition 64bits similar to Cisco LEAP authentication for Windows Vista-Business 32bits?

Many thanks in advance!

tangsuan

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Tang,

This is not Cisco problem actually. You need a supplicant that supports LEAP. The OS vendor is the one that is responsible for providing the supported EAP methods. Having LEAP Cisco proprietary this is why you were directed to Cisco. But actually the supplicant support is not Cisco responsibility. Windows OS guys need to provide this.

Leap is almost obsolete and I guess you may find something similar for EAP-FAST for windows 7.

Cisco has it is own supplicant that u can use to support LEAP on windows 7. This comes as a module for anyConnect.

HTH

Amjad

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi Amjad and all :

I don't mind LEAP is outdated as long as it works for my requirement. The EAP-FAST is better but I am happy to have LEAP and there may be problems like cost and configuration that I have to face. For LEAP, I know better and it just needs one step of patching further.

Thanks for your explanation and offer.

Do you or anybody come across to update the driver for wireless network adaptor for Vista into Windows 7 can resolve this problem?

My Windows 7 Home wireless adapator is Atheros AR9002WB-1NG. Sorry a bit diverted from Cisco support and i am very keen on any solution it may arise.

Many thanks and hope to hear more from all yours!

tangsuan

Tang,

It seems you can not use leap unless u install intel proset supplicant which supports only intel drivers.

Chech the link

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/3084-security-wireless-cisco-leap.html

So it seems what give u the option for Cisco leap in windows vista is a software provided by intel; neither Microsoft nor Cisco.

If you have intel driver u better contact intel if you want leap built in. If not then I am not sure if anything will make leap to work built in windows. You need an independent supplicant overall.

HTH

Amjad

Amjad,

Yep, supporting you on this. There are some free supplicants out there for tangsuan to choose from. Your AnyConnect suggestion with the Network Access Module is a good one and it's driver independent -- you can use it with a mix of wireless adapters and WXP, Vista, W7 and its interface looks the same to all users.

Justin

Hi Amjad / Justin :

Thanks to the driver link and I downloaded the Intel driver and install in this Windows 7 Home Edition 64bits PC.

It is amazing that it works and I can use the Cisco LEAP to access the Cisco AP1041N.

This is what I want and I appreciate your suggestion on AnyConnect but I do not have the Network Access Module at the mean time for the AnyConnect.

Best regards,

tangsuan

Hi Amjad :

You have helped me by installing the driver from the link.

I ticked a lot of times to say this is correct answer but it seems stuck somewhere. Anyway, many thanks!

Best regards,

tangsuan

Tang-Saun:

I am glad that it is working with you.

Try later to mark the corret answer which will make it easier for people to know the answer directly without going to the whole thread.

Enjoy your leap.

btw, you can download Network Access Module (NAM) from cisco site.
Here is the download link:  http://tiny.cc/w5t4bw
Here is the procedures to deploy NAM with anyConnect: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-23117
I spent reasonable time until I deployed it correctly. The above forum link helped me a lot. anyconnect documents do not clearly illustrate how to integrate NAM with anyConnect.

Good luck.

Amjad

Admire your effort in helping a customer. But LEAP was flawed by design and broken by year 2004 and no patching could remedy it. I would think that the solution is to change to EAP-FAST or something. As of the recent software releases for 1040 series, LEAP is not even included in data sheet. 

It is very startling to see you pushed forward and went along with the customer with the driver update. It is almost disturbing. But, at the same time, your effort makes me gasp.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: