Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR9k and DOCSIS timing

mdaaxcess
Level 1
Level 1

Hey

Any one know if its possible to use the asr9k (asr9000v) as an DOCSIS timing server for an uBR10k docsis 3 setup, so you can drop the external timing server?

Martin

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Reply 1

Vadim Zhovtanyuk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Martin,

As far as I know, according to DOCSIS Timing Interface Specification (CM-SP-DTI-I05-081209) there is a strong recommendation to use DTI Root and Slave server and also if they need to be located in different buildings (for instance) it is strongly recommended to use GPS or at least SONET/SDH network for syncronization between DTI servers.

Cisco IOS XR Release 3.9 introduces support for SyncE-capable Ethernet on the Cisco ASR 9000 Series Router.

But I'm not sure DTI Timimng protocol is the same as Sync-E so even if we can suppport Sync-E on ASR9K

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r4.2/interfaces/configuration/guide/hc42ethi.html#wp1012317

and tranposrt clocking over Ethernet links there is a question if DTI clients will be able to understand Sync-E

You may also ask uBR10K experts to verify if uBR10K DTI port is compartible with Sync-E and if Sync-E will be sufficient to "feed" DTP clent port on uBR10K with the clocking.

HTH

/vadim

P.S. As far as I see in the specification even the L1 specs are a little bit different for DTI UTP connection and standard Ethernet connection so I realy doubt DTI port will be able to "understand"  Sync-E.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: