Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP-10G-LR and conditioning patch cord

Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible to use SFP-10G-LR with a conditioning patch cord ?

In fact wa have to deploy 10 Gb, but we dont have any information on the FO, so we have to figure the worst case: old SMF.

It seems not, but I would like to know if someone have already test...

It's for Nexus 5596, so we can't use LRM...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/product_bulletin_c25-530836.pdf

Thanks a lot

5 Replies 5

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A mode conditioning patch cord (MCP) is used when you have multimode fiber in your network.  It allows certain laser-based transceivers to be connected to the multimode fibers.  Review the mode conditioning document I linked to above for more information on which transceivers it is designed to work with. 

If you have SMF, you won't need a MCP.  

Hello,

I made a mistake in my question, the old FO is not a SMF but a MMF...

So regarding your document, I'm not sure that I can plug mode conditioning patch cord between a SFP-10G-LR and MMF.

Thanks to you,

Regards

You can, but if the circuit is too long, it won't work.

Your other option, although hardly a great solution, is to use a media converter at each end of your MMF backbone link.  Might be less expensive than installing new fiber. 

The output from your Nexus equipment would be 10GBase-SX into the media convertor's 10GBase-SX interface which gets converted to 10GBase-LRM connected to your MMF backbone.  Same at the far end.    

The following company supports 10GBASE-LRM transceiver modules on their media converters.   Other company's probably have similar equipment. 

http://www.mrv.com

hello,

Thanks a lot for your answer !

Regards,

Gérald

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco