Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless conflict

Hi Guys,

I hope someone can answer my question for me. I understand that a Microwave oven can interfare with a wireless network but is there any other devices that can interfare with the wireless network beside the Microwave oven?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lake

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

blakekrone
Level 4
Level 4

I think the better question is what DOESN'T interfere with wireless networks, especially in the 2.4GHz. There are thousands of devices that can use the 2.4GHz frequency, such as:

• wireless home theater systems
  • wireless whole house audio systems (sonos, logitech slim devices)
  • xbox, wii, ps3 controllers
  • video cameras
  • any bluetooth device

Are you trying to track down issues in your network? If yes then you should look at getting either Cisco Spectrum Expert or Metageek Chanalyzer to see what is going on in the RF.

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I understand that a Microwave oven can interfare with a wireless network but is there any other devices that can interfare with the wireless network beside the Microwave oven?

Yes and no.

1.  Microwave oven can, in some cases, can affect one or a few channels in the 2.4Ghz spectrum.  But there are some microwave ovens which can BLAST the entire 2.4Ghz spectrum.

2.  I've seen one article about an old CRT TV that, due to a manufacturing defect, can cause issues with 2.4 Ghz TV.

3.  XBox

4.  Bluetooth

5.  Wifi/Mobile phone jammers

6.  DECT cordless phones

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you are looking for a reasonably priced spectrum analyzer to see 80211 interference I would check out meta geeks wispy. Great product for the price ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

7 Replies 7

blakekrone
Level 4
Level 4

I think the better question is what DOESN'T interfere with wireless networks, especially in the 2.4GHz. There are thousands of devices that can use the 2.4GHz frequency, such as:

• wireless home theater systems
  • wireless whole house audio systems (sonos, logitech slim devices)
  • xbox, wii, ps3 controllers
  • video cameras
  • any bluetooth device

Are you trying to track down issues in your network? If yes then you should look at getting either Cisco Spectrum Expert or Metageek Chanalyzer to see what is going on in the RF.

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Yes, i am troubleshooting a remote user who is having issues with a wireless connection and remote access VPN. Wired connection and VPN works fine.

I clicked on Correct Answer to rate your post but nothing is happening. I will keep trying.

Regards,

Lake

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I understand that a Microwave oven can interfare with a wireless network but is there any other devices that can interfare with the wireless network beside the Microwave oven?

Yes and no.

1.  Microwave oven can, in some cases, can affect one or a few channels in the 2.4Ghz spectrum.  But there are some microwave ovens which can BLAST the entire 2.4Ghz spectrum.

2.  I've seen one article about an old CRT TV that, due to a manufacturing defect, can cause issues with 2.4 Ghz TV.

3.  XBox

4.  Bluetooth

5.  Wifi/Mobile phone jammers

6.  DECT cordless phones

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you are looking for a reasonably priced spectrum analyzer to see 80211 interference I would check out meta geeks wispy. Great product for the price ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Airmagnet Spectrum Analyzer

I truly appreciate all of your help. I have surely learned quite a bit. Thanks very much guys.

Thanks,

Lake

LOL @ LEO! +5

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card