Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CNA - Supported Windows OS

Ellerby01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Could anybody please explain why Windows Server 2008 is not a supported OS for Cisco Network Assistant?

I am currently evaluating switch management solutions for use with Catalyst 2960 and 3750 series switches, and would like to be able to backup and restore configurations, as well as make configuration changes. My management Server is running Server 2008.

Is Prime LMS my only option?

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Offhand, I think CNA is a straight-forward desktop client tool, whereas a typical LMS deployment uses a client-server model with LMS itself living on a classic "server".

network admin -> CNA (Windows desktop) -> network devices

network admin -> web browser (Windows desktop) -> LMS (Windows server) -> network devices

That's my "rationale" why CNA does not list Windows Server 2008 support, which may simply mean it's never been tested there.

CNA (SMB) and LMS (medium to large enterprise networking gears) might  have some tiny overlap in their respective pool of supported devices, but in my impression they don't replace each other.

I agree, yj. You have it exactly rtight.

bllang
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We haven't tested on Server 08, but it should work. If you run in to an issue, please feel free to file a bug with TAC and we'll have a look. We want it to meet your needs.

Thanks,

Many thanks for all the replys,

I've installed CNA on a VM running Server 2008 with no issues, I'll carry out some further testing and see how it goes.

Taking a longer term view, as the network I am managing is growing, LMS may well be the way to go, could I ask.......

Does LMS use the same systems for communicating with devices as CNA? (i.e IP http server function must be enabled on the switch).

Thanks,

LMS does not require the devices to be runing the ip http server. It does require snmp  (version 1, 2, or 3) plus ssh (or telnet) access to operate properly. CDP being enabled between your devices is not strictly required but is highly recommended to properly discover the network.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: