Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Jumbo Frames over 10/100 link

Unanswered Question
Apr 3rd, 2012
User Badges:

Hi everyone,

I read that Jumbo frames, when enabled on Gig ingress interfaces on a switch, will be dropped if the egress interface is 10/100. Does this hold true if the actual egress interface on the switch is a gig interface however the port on the other end of that interface is 10/100 only such in a case of a PC. Would the frames still get dropped?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
rizwanr74 Tue, 04/03/2012 - 12:23
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

"Would the frames still get dropped?"

No. But it will fragment frames and which will cause high CPU utilization and delay.

Hope that answers your question.

thanks

cpembleton Tue, 04/03/2012 - 18:07
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Ricky,

Kinda depends on your switch/pc.  There are some switches that have support for jumbo frames at 10/100.  Like some of the line cards of a 6500.  So if your switch supports jumbo on 10/100 and your host supports jumbo frame on 10/100 then no, nothing is dropped.  Assuming the Jumbo value set is not larger than either side can support. 

But if either the switch and/or pc doesn't then it will be dropped.  Fragmentation only occurs over a layer3 boundry as long as the DF flag isn't set.   

HTH

Thanks,

Chad

Ricky S Wed, 04/04/2012 - 06:49
User Badges:

Hi gents, thanks for your responses. I am going to play around with this setting however since a switch reload is required after turning it on, I will have to wait for a window. I'll update this thread with the results.

Actions

This Discussion