Views
Helpful
Replies

Jumbo Frames over 10/100 link

Ricky S
Level 3
Level 3

Hi everyone,

I read that Jumbo frames, when enabled on Gig ingress interfaces on a switch, will be dropped if the egress interface is 10/100. Does this hold true if the actual egress interface on the switch is a gig interface however the port on the other end of that interface is 10/100 only such in a case of a PC. Would the frames still get dropped?

3 Replies 3

rizwanr74
Level 7
Level 7

"Would the frames still get dropped?"

No. But it will fragment frames and which will cause high CPU utilization and delay.

Hope that answers your question.

thanks

cpembleton
Level 4
Level 4

Ricky,

Kinda depends on your switch/pc.  There are some switches that have support for jumbo frames at 10/100.  Like some of the line cards of a 6500.  So if your switch supports jumbo on 10/100 and your host supports jumbo frame on 10/100 then no, nothing is dropped.  Assuming the Jumbo value set is not larger than either side can support. 

But if either the switch and/or pc doesn't then it will be dropped.  Fragmentation only occurs over a layer3 boundry as long as the DF flag isn't set.   

HTH

Thanks,

Chad

Ricky S
Level 3
Level 3

Hi gents, thanks for your responses. I am going to play around with this setting however since a switch reload is required after turning it on, I will have to wait for a window. I'll update this thread with the results.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card