cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L4 Configuration

phretbuzz
Level 1
Level 1

How do you physically configure a network tap on the Ironport? I'm not sure what they are referring to... I'm hoping they are not talking about a pass through fromt he inside firewall to the switch.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In order to make my example clear, I'm going to make the following assumptions:

You're talking about the Layer 4 Traffice Monitor (aka L4TM)

Firewall inside interface, the WSA P1 interface and the WSA T1 interface plugged into the same swtich, on the same VLAN. 

Firewall inside on gig1/1

WSA P1 on gig1/5

WSA T1 on gig1/10

(Optional WSA T2 on gig1/11)

If you feel that one interface on the WSA will get overloaded, set the L4TM config in Network/Interfaces for simplex. Then connect the WSA T2 port to the swtich (say gig1/11), and do an egress span from gig1/1 to gig1/10 and ingress span from gig1/1 to gig1/11.

If its all connected to a HUB, the use DUPLEX on the WSA L4TM config and just hook up T1...

Or you can use an actual tap, that you put in-line like this:  http://www.netoptics.com/products/network-taps/101001000baset-tap and hook that up to the T1/T2 ports as appropriate.

Hope that helps!

Ken

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

In order to make my example clear, I'm going to make the following assumptions:

You're talking about the Layer 4 Traffice Monitor (aka L4TM)

Firewall inside interface, the WSA P1 interface and the WSA T1 interface plugged into the same swtich, on the same VLAN. 

Firewall inside on gig1/1

WSA P1 on gig1/5

WSA T1 on gig1/10

(Optional WSA T2 on gig1/11)

If you feel that one interface on the WSA will get overloaded, set the L4TM config in Network/Interfaces for simplex. Then connect the WSA T2 port to the swtich (say gig1/11), and do an egress span from gig1/1 to gig1/10 and ingress span from gig1/1 to gig1/11.

If its all connected to a HUB, the use DUPLEX on the WSA L4TM config and just hook up T1...

Or you can use an actual tap, that you put in-line like this:  http://www.netoptics.com/products/network-taps/101001000baset-tap and hook that up to the T1/T2 ports as appropriate.

Hope that helps!

Ken

OK. so it sounds like the network tap is an efficient piece of hardware to deliver packets. Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: