cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade from 7.0.116.0 to 7.2.103.0

lukeprimm
Level 1
Level 1

I want to upgrade all my controllers (a mix of 4400 and 5508) to 7.2.103.0 from 7.0.116.0.  Has anyone made this jump? Any pitfalls?  Can I make that jump or should I do incremental?  THanks

lp

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 2504, 5508 & WiSM2 are the only WLC's that will support 7.2.  If you have a mix, then maybe going to 7.0.230.0 is your best bet.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 2504, 5508 & WiSM2 are the only WLC's that will support 7.2.  If you have a mix, then maybe going to 7.0.230.0 is your best bet.

-Scott

excellent, thanks.  Im actually in the process of eliminating the 4400's.  I just need to join the 5500 to the mobility group and start moving the AP's over.  I guess once I do that I will upgrade the code on the 5500's.  Thanks!

Well then you can upgrade your 5508's directly to 7.2.130.0, but remember that there is a FUS code also that you will need to install.  The release notes will explain the process.

-Scott

perfect, thanks for the info.  Do you think the best course of action to introduce two new 5508's into the environment is the following:

1. load the same code as the rest of the 4400

2. apply the same config (wlan, security, etc) as the 4400's

3. join the same mobility group as the 4400's

4. move over a handful of AP's to the new controllers and test

5. decommission the 4400's

your thoughts?  Anything I'm forgetting?

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That sounds like a solid plan. The last step would be to upgrade to 7.2, but other than that looks good.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

I was looking at copying over the config from the old controllers to the new but it looks like the configs are not like standard configs (like switches and routers).  Is that the best way or is there a better way to prep the new controllers to add them into the mobility group?  Right now I am going page by page in the gui and making the changes. 

Thanks

Personally I would put them all at the same version they are capable of going to. Then you can do a tftp config backup and copy that config via tftp to the new controllers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: