cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interview related Q: When to use the following Signalling protocols?

Imran Ul Haq
Level 1
Level 1

Evening my fellow friends,

Less that 24 hours to go to interview - can you guys please advise on a particular topic just to check my understanding?

When Should we use MGCP, SCCP and SIP?

How does CAS and CCS affect the signalling types?

Also, can you guys please take the time to advise on what is it that makes SIP the next big thing in VoIP?

I know that it can be tailored for each vendor implementation but I want to give a comprehensive answer.

Your help is much appreciated all!

Regards

4 Replies 4

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Why SIP is "the next big thing"? compared to MGCP and Skinny.

well for starters SIP is IP based (and thus easy to integrate with existing internet services such as presence, voicemail, email and multimedia collaboration)  and open standard, and is very easy to troubleshoot. SIP as it is based on IP, makes the requirement for expensive E1's/T1's and dedicated TDM equipment obsolete, by using SIP Trunks to providers, SIP trunks are also much easier to dimension.

SCCP, well it is cisco proprietary and thus almost per definition not supported by other vendors.

in terms of comparing H323 and MGCP read this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk1077/technologies_tech_note09186a00806fedbe.shtml

My opinion of MGCP is, that unless you would want a more centralised point of administration/call processing; use it. This because if you combine CUCM with MGCP gateways most of your administration and call control lies with CUCM. the thing with that is, is that in case of fail over (be it to SRST or CME) you will still need to rely on H323 (or SIP) anyway, so I dont consider it less work to configure.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

H323, SCCP and MGCP are IP based as well, perhaps you meant to say that SIP is based on HTTP.

As to when to use one over another it all depends on several factors such as preference, integration points, features required and supported as not all protocols support the same feature sets.  Keep in mind that the beauty of having call processor such as CUCM or CME is that they can interpret all these protocols and you can use all of them if you choose in the same environment without issues.

HTH,

Chris

thanks for the correction, yes that is what I meant

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

On gateway protocol, take a look here:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/blogs/cisco-gateway-h323-sip-mgcp.html

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: