cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCOWorks LMS accounts

Eric R. Jones
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, I just installed LMS 4.0 and have a couple of questions.

Background: Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition SP 2

1. The casuser account is created during installation; however after the system is up I can't login to it from the CISCO Works GUI. We reset the password for the username casuser but that still didnt' help. when logged into CISCOWorks as "admin" I am unable to "manage users" or use the "migration" function. I get an error popup that says I don't have that authorization. I'm supposed to use casuser as it's the account used to manage CISCOWorks without any other admin rights, according to the documentation.

2. When I backed up LMS 3.2 it went smoothly and created the temp directory with all the backup files. After installing LMS 4.0 I tried running restorebackup.pl -d "backup directory/folder" and the system just sits there doing nothing.

ej

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for posting this info, Eric.  I had the exact same problem with the restore from a 3.2 to 4.0 version...and wound up manually entering all the devices into the 4.0 version after frustrating myself over why the restore script didn't work. 

At least I know now for the next install! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Eric,

If the system/services are not coming up there must be a reason and mostly could be anything - from corrupt install to causer or something else.

Do you see services started in services.msc or via pdshow command on command prompt?

If not, try to start the services via command prompt with command net start crmdmgtd and see if there is any error in syslog.log for daemon manager.

To reset the password of casuser should mandatorily be reset through NMSROOT/setup/support/resetcasuser.exe.

If casuser is a member of casusers and has full inherited permissions on $NMSROOT there is no other permissions or rights required. One thing to consider is to check if AV is not blocking services. Permanently exclude the NMSROOT with subfolders from Active Scan.

For restore backup, you have to use the syntax like this :

NMSROOT/bin/perl NMSROOT/bin/restorebackup.pl -d .

-Thanks

Vinod

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Hello, thanks for the quick response.

Found out you HAVE to be local admin to install it.

I uninstalled and re-installed as local admin which solved many issues; however, when attempting to migrate 3.2 data to a 4.0 system I got failure errors. It wouldn’t take the restore so I have to start from scratch.

Previously I actually un-tar’d the backup file manually into the root location and it worked but using the restorebackup.pl script didn’t.

I decided to leave well enough alone and just recreate the user accounts and data discovery.

ej

Untaring into root location is never a good idea. It contains a lot of conf files and files containing specific software version details or previous software which could create issues with newly installled software.

And installing with Local Admin accunt is one of the most imp. requirement. For some other details see doc:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9132

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

I have researched the last email about untaring into root being a bad idea and let the system run overnight.

This morning we did some checking and found that the system hasn’t discovered much of anything.

I did a restore of the original install but get this error:

“ Restoring Common Services database.

root=D:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\databases\cmf\cmf.db

Cannot copy file D:\PROGRA1\CSCOpx\tempBackupData\cmf\database\cmf.db to D:\PROGRA1\CSCOpx\databases\cmf. Verify that the file is available in this directory and that you have access to the file.

This is the same error I got when attempting to do a restore of the LMS 3.2 data.

I have checked the path and permissions are wide open for the local admin account I’m using.

Is there a known bug with the backup/restore process on the system?

I haven’t tried doing a backup/restore of a newly installed system but that will be next.

It’s very important that this function works for obvious reasons.

Well back to uninstall and clean install.

ej

Ok now I’m @#$@#@#, I followed the directions in the Migrating Data on Windows section of the CISCO PDF.

Long story short It turns out all the processes on the Windows box were NOT shutdown.

You have to manually shutdown the CISCOWorks and DMF services in the “services” section of Windows after running “net stop crmdmgtd”.

So the restore is progressing smoothly now.

We’ll see what happens after this.

I find it strange that the backup doesn’t get any similar errors.

ej

Thanks for posting this info, Eric.  I had the exact same problem with the restore from a 3.2 to 4.0 version...and wound up manually entering all the devices into the 4.0 version after frustrating myself over why the restore script didn't work. 

At least I know now for the next install! 

It’s actually in the documentation but past the pages that you read to start install.

I printed out the sections I needed but it both cases the information about ignoring the error appears a few pages past it.

ej

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: