Views
Helpful
Replies

Codec C20 no red led.

Hugh Rivera
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm trying to do a factory reset on one of our endpoints (Profile 42 C20) as I can not connect to it due to authentication failure. Somehow after I upgraded to TC5.1 from 4.1 it reset the root account but none of the default works or what it was set to.

So as I'm trying to do the factory reset: Press and hold the power button untill the led goes red - I've held it for over 90 seconds and does not go red... I have tried and tried and the led on the codec is not going red....

Can anyone please help?

Cheers

Hugh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Paul Anholt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hugh,

In TC5.1 the behavior has changed. The RED LED no longer comes on, but rather the green LED starts blinking. The process is still the same:

1. Turn the codec off.
  2. Press and hold the power until the LED on the front turns red flashes green.
  3. Release the power button, and press it twice within 5 seconds.

Thanks,

Paul

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

vivsing2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Hugh,

So what i understood, you used following steps:

1. Power off the      codec using the power on/off switch located on the back of the unit.
  2. Once the unit      is powered off, press and hold the power switch until the green LED on the      front of the system turns red (approx. 15 seconds).
  3. Release the power button and      confirm the reset by pressing the power switch twice within 5 seconds.

So when you are performing this steps, what's the color of LED, is it green or it is not coming up ?

Kindly let me know do you have Y-Cable, if not please use following Pin out and try to make one which you can use to take serial connection of C20:

Regards,

Vivek

Hi Vivek,

You were on the phone with me and Ellie earlier today.

I have attempted the factory reset via powering off the unit and pressing the power button till it goes from green to red.

The light goes steady green and the after 30 secs it starts to flash... I've held it 10 secs, 20 secs, 50 secs, 90 secs and it never goes red.

These Profile C20 is causing me a lot of pain and to find out that these Y cables are worth $100. There has to be a better solution.

Would you know why these Codec led go red?

Regards,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

I was not on call with you, might be some one else.

Codec led go to red, to confirm that it's ready to be factory default and by pressing twice we confirm that codec can go ahead and reset it self.

I am aware about this solution, might be some one else can help.

As per provided image above, you can make your own cable and then proceed with serial connection.

Regards,

Vivek

So if it does not go to red, which I've tried on two Profile 42 C20 and both press and hold but not going red... just green.

Can Cisco provide these cables?

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Hugh!

First: Please rate the answer with the stars below this messages.

and mark it as answered if it is.

some remarks

* if you have changed the software within different major releases (like here from TC4 to TC5) you will

need to add a release key, as you have problems accessing the codec this might not have happened.

Did not test it, but i could picture the LED might also be affected by that.

You would need a active service contract for the c20 to receive the key. Either ask your Cisco partner

or ask (email) licensing@cisco.com that you need a TC5 key and they will tell you more.

* as you say the endpoint is rejecting the password I assume its still reachable via ip.

The root user shall be disabled in TC5 by default. You should use the admin account.

when logged in to the shell as admin (no password), you can turn on an set a password for root via

systemtools rootsettings on

You could also use the webinterface (also admin/) to login and add the release key and

check up on the endpoint.

* to have  a serial cable is not a bad ide, if you just want one for resetting and base config/debug

you can skip the camera part and just make a simple cable like:

C20           to          Std. RS.232

Pin 1-------------------Pin2

Pin 5-------------------Pin5

Pin 6-------------------Pin3

Martin

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

The release keys I got from https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/LicensingUI/LicenseAdminServlet/checkStatus
These did not indicate if it was incorrect or valid.

As I ran the upgrade via TMS it was successful and only to discover when doing a test call it caused problems

1. Call only an audio call

2. TMS connection error

3. TMS authentication error

Due to the authentication error (Root and Admin password being reset from upgrade somehow) No downgrade or connection via ssh or serial connection to reset password works as we can not login with any account. Tried all default cisco and tandberg password and what we set it to be prior to upgrade.

Having a valid release is useless at this point. The upgrade should have failed in the first place if it was an invalid release key.

Standard serial cables also do not work whether it be direct to the COM1 or COM2 or direct to the camera connection.... As it requires a Y cable only to be available at particular stores and not easy to find. Luckily we found one and was able to connect and do the PWREC command.

But this command only gave the option to FACTORY RESET the unit and no option to reset the root or admin password.

As you can see the domino affect of issues from one thing and CISCO Techs not able to provide any answer as to why these were happening...

Thank you for your respones although I have already attempted those without success.. only to use the Y Cable.

Cheers

Hugh

Paul Anholt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hugh,

In TC5.1 the behavior has changed. The RED LED no longer comes on, but rather the green LED starts blinking. The process is still the same:

1. Turn the codec off.
  2. Press and hold the power until the LED on the front turns red flashes green.
  3. Release the power button, and press it twice within 5 seconds.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

Thank YOU so much for your answer this worked.

Only thing I can say is that since I have already done a factory reset on the unit and having the TC4.1.2 installed I still did not get a red LED and tried this when the green flashed and it did a factory reset anyway.

So from my observation the whole RED LED is not valid for either TC4.X or TC5.X

THANK YOU!

Hugh,

I am glad to hear that this worked. I tested this as well and found that the behavior of the missing red LED remains even after downgrading to lower versions.

The TC5.1 release notes ellude to the change as seen below

"

Harmonized factory reset

In TC5.1 the following method will be used to factory defaulting the systems:

EX60/EX90/SX20/C20:

• When the unit is off, press and hold the power button

• Wait until the power LED goes dark and then light up again (approximately 10 seconds).

• Then release the power button and press it twice.

• The system will boot up and display a confirmation message on the video screen if the

process was successful.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/endpoint/software/tc5/release_notes/tc_software_release_notes_tc5.pdf

I will see that the document is updated to clairify the changed behavior.

Thanks,

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: