Good document for managing C-Series Servers with UCS?

Answered Question
Apr 4th, 2012

Ok maybe being lazy but does anyone have a link to a good document for managing C-Series Servers with UCS?

This will be on 2.0 code.

Thanks!

Craig

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by David McFarland about 2 years 1 week ago

For UCSM 1.4 - 2.0(1) You must use a N2K 2248. The document below descibes the qualified topology

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-15034

With 2.0(2) and above, the N2K 2248 has been obsoleted, you must use a N2K 2232 (Nexus 3k is not supported). We should be posting a doc shortly to describe the new configuration requirements. But, the main difference is that both the C-series LOM and CNA ports plug directly into the 2232 and the 2232 into the FI. This is very similar to how the B-series Blade control/data plane go through the IOM (fex) to the FI.

You can no longer plug C-series CNA port directly into the FI at UCSM 2.0(2) and above.

This is documented in the 2.0(2) configuration guides.

Average Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
roberbur Wed, 04/04/2012 - 10:41

What are you looking for exactly?  How to cable it up phsyically?  Once it's setup, the racks are managed the same as blades (essentially).  Rack/Blade are both compute nodes.  All the docs that detail UCSM management can be applied to Rack servers which have been integrated.

Robert

kenperez Wed, 04/04/2012 - 15:36

Craig,

There is a bunch of information about this, please be more specific.

-Kenny

kg6itcraig Thu, 04/05/2012 - 09:54

Thanks for the feedback. Guess I am wanting the steps to attach a C-Series server to UCS for management.

The servers do have the proper 2x10G cards for this.

To set this up I am guessing:

1) Each port is attached to an FI

2) The FI port is put into "Server" or "Appliance" mode

3) The C-Series server shows up in UCSM and is manages like a B-Series

Right?

Thanks!

Craig

kenperez Thu, 04/05/2012 - 10:13

Craig,

I hope this diagram helps a little, and yes, once the C-series is integrated with UCSM is treated like any other B-series.

Regarding the FI port, tghe ports going down (south), either to the server or the N2K, are always configured as "server ports"

-Kenny

kenperez Thu, 04/05/2012 - 10:15

BTW.

Looking at the diagram, and going top to down, the device are

-FIs

-N2Ks (Nexus 2000)

-UCS-C

Also, to support this, the FI and UCSM must be running firmware versions 1.4 or later.

-Kenny

roberbur Thu, 04/05/2012 - 10:22

Just to add, in the latest release of UCSM 2.0(2) we added support for both Management and Data connections to connect from the Rack server to a 2232 FEX (1G/10G).  This fex in turn has it's uplinks to the FI's.

The "Phase 1" topology above that Ken posted makes use of 2248 FEX (1G) for management and direct conenctions 10G for data plane to the FIs.

Here's what the "Phase 2" integration topology looks like:

Regards,

Robert

kenperez Thu, 04/05/2012 - 10:29

Robert,

Thanks for that, I forgot the new release!

-Kenny

kg6itcraig Thu, 04/05/2012 - 14:43

Wow thanks for all the diagrams. We are just "checking this out" to see if we want to pull our C-Series servers into UCS. At this point we only have 7k, 3k, and 5k Nexus switches. We would buy the proper switches for this if we "go production" with it.

The 10G link is no problem. But the management link, can that be from the FI's also? I could run 10G, or I have some 1G SFP's for ports 1-8 of the 6120's.

Also if I can swing an update in the lab for UCSM 2.0(2) can I get by with directly plugging the C-Series into the FI's?

Thanks!

Craig

kenperez Thu, 04/05/2012 - 14:58

Craig,

I have not tried that on my lab, but if you see, the 2.0 release is looking for less cabling (among other benefits).

Quickly reading your question, I don't get the reason for it (humbly saying).  Are you thinking about any special situation where that might require that? Like running out of Nexus ports?

Give us an example, we'll give it a shot...

-Kenny

kg6itcraig Thu, 04/05/2012 - 15:42

Keny,

For the management only certain switches can be between the FI and C-Series right? Would be very happy to use a 3k since we have those, but don't know if that will work.

We are at code level 2.0(1W) so "Phase 2" that Robert mentioned isn't possible.

Since I cannot grab a 2232 FEX quickly for this POC, guess I am out of luck unless I go 2.0(2) and can make it happen with just 2x10G links from FI to C-Series. 

But if I could use a 10G connection (or 1G from ports 1-8 from my 6120 with 1G copper SFP's) then this could be POC'ed on the hurry-up and if all worked, BOOM! Servers not managed by UCSM are just so old-school

Thanks!

Craig

Correct Answer
David McFarland Thu, 04/05/2012 - 15:56

For UCSM 1.4 - 2.0(1) You must use a N2K 2248. The document below descibes the qualified topology

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-15034

With 2.0(2) and above, the N2K 2248 has been obsoleted, you must use a N2K 2232 (Nexus 3k is not supported). We should be posting a doc shortly to describe the new configuration requirements. But, the main difference is that both the C-series LOM and CNA ports plug directly into the 2232 and the 2232 into the FI. This is very similar to how the B-series Blade control/data plane go through the IOM (fex) to the FI.

You can no longer plug C-series CNA port directly into the FI at UCSM 2.0(2) and above.

This is documented in the 2.0(2) configuration guides.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted April 4, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Stats:
Replies:11 Avg. Rating:5
Views:1648 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.
Categories: General UCS Hardware
+

Discussions Leaderboard