cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vNIC failover testing

russ.givens
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to test vNIC or hba failover on an individual blade.  I don't want to have to turn a fabric interconnect off to validate that I have setup a vNIC or hba appropriately on a single blade so is there anyway from the Fabric Interconnect cli to disable a vNIC / hba or force it to failover to the other fabric?

4 Replies 4

colin.lynch
Level 4
Level 4

Unfortunatley not, would be nice to be able to do a "Shut" on a veth in NXOS mode but you can't (not yet anyway.)

The best way I have found to test blade failover with MINIMAL disruption is to pull the FEX - FI link out, that that blade Pins to. THIS CAN EFFECT other blades depending on your setup.

I.e. if you only have a single FEX link obviously all your blades will be using it.

Best scenario is to use 4 FEX links (If using Gen 1 kit, with discrete pinning) then if you have a full chassis of half width blades you will have  2 servers pinned to each uplink. i.e. 1/5 to link 1, 2/6 to Link 2, 3/7 to link 3 and Blades 4/8 to link 4.

So if you pull FEX link one on FEX A out in the above scenario, all vNICS mapped to Fabric A will failover (if configured to do so) on blades 1 and 5.

Not ideal but better and much quicker than failing a whole FI as you were thinking about.

Obviously the above will not work if you have port-channelled the FEX - FI links.

Regards

Colin

David McFarland
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can test fibre channel failures by putting one of the vHBA's into another VSAN. This will break the zoning for that vHBA. You can just create a dummy VSAN if you don't have one to put it into. This will test your multipathing to the target. vfc's will not failover like a veth will on loss of connection or FI.

There are requests to be able to shut/no-shut a vif, but, nothing so far.

Dave

Just to add to Dave's preferred method - changing a VSAN on a vHBA does not require a re-ack of the compute node.  Same concept as modifying VLANs on a vNIC.

Robert

I believe if you reset the DCE interface it will induce FF. You would do that from the equipment tab.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card