Helpful
Replies

etherchannel and load balancing method for non ip traffic

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everybody

How is everybody?

My book says if a switch is configured with "port-channel load-balance src-dst-ip"  and it receives a non ip frame say sna, then it will fall back to" next lowest" method.

My question is: "How are these mehods  arranged from  higest to lowest?

thanks and have a great weekend

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sarah,

The load balancing is different for different series of switches.  For example, by default the 6500 series support source/destination ip for ip packet and source MAC address for non-IP packets.  On the other hand, the 3750 series by default support source MAC address for both IP and non-IP  packets.  Of course, this can be changed.

Here is the output from a 3750:

EtherChannel Load-Balancing Addresses Used Per-Protocol:

Non-IP: Source MAC address

IPv4: Source MAC address

IPv6: Source MAC address

Switch#

and here are the options:

Switch(config)#port-channel load-balance ?

dst-ip       Dst IP Addr

dst-mac      Dst Mac Addr

src-dst-ip   Src XOR Dst IP Addr

src-dst-mac  Src XOR Dst Mac Addr

src-ip       Src IP Addr

src-mac      Src Mac Addr

Switch(config)#port-channel load-balance

have a nice weekend

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sarah,

The load balancing is different for different series of switches.  For example, by default the 6500 series support source/destination ip for ip packet and source MAC address for non-IP packets.  On the other hand, the 3750 series by default support source MAC address for both IP and non-IP  packets.  Of course, this can be changed.

Here is the output from a 3750:

EtherChannel Load-Balancing Addresses Used Per-Protocol:

Non-IP: Source MAC address

IPv4: Source MAC address

IPv6: Source MAC address

Switch#

and here are the options:

Switch(config)#port-channel load-balance ?

dst-ip       Dst IP Addr

dst-mac      Dst Mac Addr

src-dst-ip   Src XOR Dst IP Addr

src-dst-mac  Src XOR Dst Mac Addr

src-ip       Src IP Addr

src-mac      Src Mac Addr

Switch(config)#port-channel load-balance

have a nice weekend

HTH

Thanks Reza.

If a switch configured with dst ip and receives a SNA frame,  what method will switch use?  My book says the switch uses from highest to lowest method in such case.

Is the list you have provided, arranged  from highest to lowest methods ? ( For e.g if a switch configured with src ip add, will use src mac if it receives a sna frame b/c it is listed right below src ip address in your list)

I have few more questions

1) If we have an etherchannel consisting of f1/1 f1/2 with mac1 and mac2 respectively. and etherchanel is acting as a trunk using isl .My question is what will be the src mac address used in ISL header ?

2)  If we have  a multilayer switch with layer 3 etherchannel consisting of f1/1 f1/2, what would be the mac addressed used by etherchannel acting as layer 3 port?

3) Do routers support PaGp or LACp ?

thanks and have a great weekend

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco