Views
Helpful
Replies

Reload member switch in stack?

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have just upgraded 2 3750 switches in a stack via the master and reloaded the master switch remotely, how can I reload the 2nd (member) switch?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

Andy White wrote:

Thanks, I orginally just did a manual tftp upgrade on both switches (master, member), then just did a reload on the master.  I guess this is all I needed to do and not worry about the individual reload of the member as this was already done via the first reload of the master?

If you just did a "reload", all the stack members should have reloaded.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

You can use the "reload slot stack-member-number" command (e.g.: reload slot 2).

Best regards,

Antonin

Thanks and how do I show the version of the other member?

Hi,

The "show version" command should give you the IOS versions of all the stack members. It is displayed as a short table further down the output. You can also connect to a stack member via the "session stack-member-number" command and when connected you can issue various commands including the "sh ver". The session can be terminated via the "exit" command and the connection is returned to the stack master.You have also the option to use the "remote command stack-member-number show version" command issued from the stack master.

Having said all of that finally you should be aware of the fact that there are IOS compatibility requirements for all the switches within the same stack. Basically with the major version number incompatibility the switches cannot co-exist within the stack while in the case of the minor version number incompatibility the software tries to upgrade or downgrade the partialy incompatible switch. So I would expect all your switches within the stack should have the same IOS version.

Best regards,

Antonin

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The     Author of this posting offers the information contained within this     posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding  that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any   purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and   should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.   Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In     no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever   (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or   profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's   information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of  such  damage.

Posting

BTW how did you reload the master?  Reason I ask, believe a generic reload will reload the whole stack.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joe is right a generic reload will reload the entire stack

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

When you say a generic reload, do you mean when I reload the master every member gets reloaded also?

Correct when you issue the reload command it will reload the whole stack

HTH

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi,

The answer to your question is: it depends. When you issue the "reload" command from the stack master the system TRIES to reload all the stack members, but there is quite a bunch of reasons it may not succeed which results in the partial reload only.

Best regards,
Antonin

You are correct, Antonin. I just ran into that issue where one member reloaded but the other did not. The link for the field notice provides the answer as to why my reload did not reload the second member: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/636/fn63641.html

The only reason we were on such an old version is because some versions of the IOS do NOT support the CER (Cisco Emergency Response) side of things. As of today, version 3.7.2 does not work but 3.7.1 does work with CER.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have just upgraded 2 3750 switches in a stack via the master and reloaded the master switch remotely, how can I reload the 2nd (member) switch?

This doesn't make sense.  When you upgrade the stack master and reloaded the stack master ONLY, the second switch (not the stack master) will become THE master (by choice).  Once this happens the stack member #1 will NOT be able to join the stack because of version mismatch.

Sorry for my description.  I have 2 x 3750 switches in a stack and I upgraded the master then the member at the same time and only reloaded the master after.  I wasn't sure if rebooting the master only would reload the member also.  I issued the "reload stack member number" and all is good.

The other guys are basically saying I didn't need to do that, as reloading the master would restart the member also. 

If I had 5 switches in a stack, my process would be to upgrade all the 5 switches first then just reload the master only as the remaining 4 switches would also reload at the same time and use the new IOS, stops the mismatch I guess.  No need to individually reload each member after the master is reloaded.

Hope that helps

What you are describing is called as the "Rolling Stack Upgrade".

Each stack member will upgrade their IOS.  Once the upgrade for the ENTIRE stack is complete, each switch member will reload one by one.

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Andy White wrote:

Sorry for my description.  I have 2 x 3750 switches in a stack and I upgraded the master then the member at the same time and only reloaded the master after.  I wasn't sure if rebooting the master only would reload the member also.  I issued the "reload stack member number" and all is good.

The other guys are basically saying I didn't need to do that, as reloading the master would restart the member also. 

If I had 5 switches in a stack, my process would be to upgrade all the 5 switches first then just reload the master only as the remaining 4 switches would also reload at the same time and use the new IOS, stops the mismatch I guess.  No need to individually reload each member after the master is reloaded.

Hope that helps

No, not reloading the master alone, per se, but to reload the whole stack, i.e. just issue reload.  If you issue reload stack #, then you telling it to only reload an individual stack member instead of the whole stack.

Thanks, I orginally just did a manual tftp upgrade on both switches (master, member), then just did a reload on the master.  I guess this is all I needed to do and not worry about the individual reload of the member as this was already done via the first reload of the master?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco