Views
Helpful
Replies

2 SAN Fabric

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Experts

I want to connect two san fabric switch away from each other 20KM using a dedicated fiber in order to replicate san traffic , question is what transceiver on san fabric should i use to terminate the fiber cable coming from the MUX ,is SM or MM or must be an FC Transceiver?

thanks

Ibrahim

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The     Author of this posting offers the information contained within this     posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding  that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any   purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and   should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.   Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In     no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever   (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or   profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's   information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of  such  damage.

Posting

Question might be more suitable in Optical Network or Storage Networking forums.

Hi Joseph

done, i posted there

i need ur help in the below

i have bgp router connected to two ISPs (1 link 8 Mbps while the 2nd link is 16 Mbps) , i have my own address blocl along with as, i receive default route from both ISP,

i m advertising my address block to both ISPs since i have public providor address,but only the 16 Mbps shown active while no traffic on the 2nd link (being proven by the MRTG) i need to make both share the traffic since we pay money for the 2nd link

i configured the maximum-path 2 but it didn't work,pls help me out how load share on both link

ibrahim

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

BGP will only used both links, if I remember correctly, to the same AS.  There's a hidden/secret BGP command, bgp bestpath as-path multipath-relax, that should override this (outbound).  (You'll still need you maximum-paths set to 2.)

For inbound, you're not seeing both links being used?

hi joseph

only the 16 Mbps working as per MRTG,when this link down, bgp  failover to the 2nd link which is 8Mpbs ,although i m advertising my address block to both isps(/24 from ripe)

pls not my router connect to 2 different ISPs each with different as!

thanks

ibrahim

hi ibrahim,

The problem you have is the return path .

your problem is that the link with 8Mbps is preferred as primary link to enter your AS. what you might want to do is to use AS_PATH prepend on the 8Mbps link when advertising the /24. and leave the BGP attributes un altered on the 16Mbps link. Does this make sense? Essentially you are adverstising the same subnets via both links but make one look better than the other.

Edit: Just re-read your post. you want inbound load sharing. i.e the ISP should send the traffic across both the links. So, you need to speak to the SP and ensure that they have that max-paths command under their VRF for you.

PS: just be careful when using max-paths as it applies to all neighbors. and I believe the "bgp multipath relax" command works when the 2 links are terminated on the same device.

HTH

Kishore

If its outbound load sharing then OER/PfR is your option . JD is an expert at this

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card