Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Password Recovery Procedure

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi all,

i just wanna know if it's possible to perform a router password recovery using the reload command and then issue the break sequence instead of doing an off/on on the power switch. i often find in the docs to use the latter.

also, is there a way to retain the startup-config on a router when we re-enable the password recovery functionality (no service password-recovery). i've just tried this on one of our 877 and when i hit the break sequence, it went back to factory default setting.

System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)YI3, RELEASE SOFTWARE

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 2006 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C870 series (Board ID: 1-148) platform with 131072 Kbytes of main memory

PASSWORD RECOVERY FUNCTIONALITY IS DISABLED

Booting flash:/c870-advsecurityk9-mz.124-9.T1.bin

Self decompressing the image :

#################################################################################

######### [OK]

-----

Username: cisco

Password:

yourname#

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

if you don't know router's password and can't get into it, how can you issue reload command? Otherwise, issuing reload and power cycling can both be used for password recovery.

View solution in original post

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi John,

In order to do a password recovery, you have to console to the router.  Once you are consoled to the router, as Roman noted, you can power cycle or reload.

regarding your section question, if you have enabled "no service password-recovery" than you can't recover the start-up config.  You can only reset to factory default.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_configuration_example09186a00801d8113.shtml

HTH

If you are attempting to disallow password recovery, then you cannot recover the startup-config. The point of no service password-recovery is to keep your configs private even if someone has physical access to the device. I believe the STRONG recommendation in the documentation associated with this command is to keep a backup of your configs.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
 i've just tried this on one of our 877 and when i hit the break sequence, it went back to factory default setting.

Not it won't.  Someone must've hit the "Reset" button when you did the power reboot.

7 Replies 7

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

if you don't know router's password and can't get into it, how can you issue reload command? Otherwise, issuing reload and power cycling can both be used for password recovery.

If you are attempting to disallow password recovery, then you cannot recover the startup-config. The point of no service password-recovery is to keep your configs private even if someone has physical access to the device. I believe the STRONG recommendation in the documentation associated with this command is to keep a backup of your configs.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi Roman,

Thanks for pointing that out! I've forgotten you'll need to be in privileged mode in order to do that.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi John,

In order to do a password recovery, you have to console to the router.  Once you are consoled to the router, as Roman noted, you can power cycle or reload.

regarding your section question, if you have enabled "no service password-recovery" than you can't recover the start-up config.  You can only reset to factory default.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_configuration_example09186a00801d8113.shtml

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
 i've just tried this on one of our 877 and when i hit the break sequence, it went back to factory default setting.

Not it won't.  Someone must've hit the "Reset" button when you did the power reboot.

Hey Leo,

I guess you're right. I've actually pressed the reset button a few times before the break sequence. I've read somewhere that hitting the break sequence would re-enable password recovery.

Appreciate everyone's feedback! Cheers!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks for the ratings John.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco