Level 1

Dear ,

do you have any idea how to run BGP as PE-CE routing protocol over PPPOE

Thanks

11 Replies 11

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

Are you looking for confiugration examples? You just configure PPPOE on Ethernet, then Dialer interface with IP address, and then BGP over this IP connection.

Hi Roman,

I have already installed L3 MPLS VRF over PPPOE but now I'm going to enable the BGP as MPLS PE-CE routing protocol.

do I need to install bgp multi-hope with the source of interface-dialer ( from CE ) and the source is loopback ( from PE )

Thank you

On PE, you would normally source from the WAN IP of the PPOE virtual-template (inhereted by virtual-access interface). In this case you don't need multi hop. If you source from loopback, then you do.

Thank you roman, I will do this

Roman do you tried to run l2mpls over PPPOE (pseudowire ) ?

ok let's clear it up

1. CE facing PPPoE interface over MPLS (ATOM)

2. CE facing PPP Dialer interface that uses PPPoe over MPLS (ATOM)

3. ATOM over MPLS over Dialer over PPPoE

Which one?

Hi Roman,

I have  BRAS and it’s working as PE router and I want to run pseudowire form the  interface virtual-access ( this interface facing the customer CE router )

Thanks

ATOM supports PPP over MPLS, so I don't see why you couldn't extend it. The only concern is that PPP would completely passthrough from CE to CE, so that if you need to do PPP Auth or Address Assignment, then it will be responsibility of CE to CE (PE wouldnt' be involved).

OR you could do ATOM Interworking, and then PPP would be terminated on the PE, but the IP would be extended end to end.

Hi Roman,

I will try to inject the xconnect commnad under interface virtual-acess using  Radius server  and I will let you know if this work

Thanks

Hi,

As Roman mentioned, when you use PPP stuff then the termination is between CE-CE. The PE will be transparent. If you get  the PE to terminate PPP then thats not a L2VPN. It becomes more of a L3VPN. The ppp neg occurs between the CE's

HTH

Kishore

johnny4791
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was able to get it working over L2VPN using VC ckt up between two 2900 routers. When  I am trying to bringup PPPOE session between 2 CEs over L3VPN.  I could not get it working. Can you send me configuration for all routers?

In L3VPN case, I did not understand how client CE router can talk to PE router before it has any ip address.

Thanks

In L3VPN case, I did not understand how client CE router can talk to PE router before it has any ip address.

The CE would be like normal PPPoE client and the PPP termination will be on the PE.  After the negotiation etc a framed ip will be pushed to your CE. The virtual interface on the PE will be placed in a VRF which contain your IPVPN routes.

From there its like a normal L3VPN. You can set up routing protocols etc on the CE.

HTH

Kishore

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: