cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 800 series. WAN Port for DSL or Cable

rgonzales562
Level 1
Level 1

I need help figuring out which 800 series router to choose from. I would like to have the option of configuring the router with either a DSL modem (AT&T) or Cable modem (Charter) for WAN access. Is this possible? The reason i want both options is so im not forced to buy another router if DSL is only offered in my area.

I found the 876w with might get the job done.

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have a DSL line and you want to terminate the DSL link to your Cisco router then look at the router which ends with the "7" such as the 887.

If you want to use a DSL modem or a cable modem to terminate then you can use the Cisco router as a "pass-through".  Look for the model which ends in "1".

Thanks leolaohoo... so the 871w should be able to terminate both a DSL modem and Cable modem?

I was looking at this LINK. It says the 871 has a 10/100 Mbps Ethernet WAN port which can terminate the Cable mode. What about the DSL modem? it does say it has a External Analog Modem - Dial Backup. Does that mean i need an external card to make it terminate?

so the 871w should be able to terminate both a DSL modem and Cable modem?

What's your budget?

I mean the 870 is already End-of-Sale since 19 March 2012.

I'm looking to spend less then $500. Any recommendations? I found a couple 871w on Ebay that offer 1yr warranty.

I'm looking to spend less then $500. Any recommendations? I found a couple 871w on Ebay that offer 1yr warranty.

Be careful with the 870.  The 870 comes in many "flavours".  Other than the WAN link look out for the amount of DRAM and Flash.  Make sure that they are of the right amount to run your IOS.

One more thing:  How many VLANs are you planning to use?

The 870 can support a maximum of three (3) VLANs if you are running 12.4 or 15.X IOS version.  Downgrade the IOS to 12.3 and the 870 can support up to ten (10) VLANs.

Thanks again!!! looking into the hardware installed. I had to ask the seller a question since it wasn't stated on the item description. LINK. Does $375 seem like to much? I figure it's reasonable since it comes with a 1 year warranty. I've seen an ASA go bad for no apparent reason.....

I prefer more then 10 vlans for testing purposes. 3 VLANs is pretty small especially if you have a guest and management vlan.

$375 for a 871W is a bit high for me because I got an 857W at home for the same price.

Anyway, what's the amount of DRAM and Flash?

version 12.3, 128 DRAM and 32 Flash

Not bad then. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco