cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Configuration Professional / Phone Firmware

kyle_mars
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having a hard time understanding ip phone firmware. I have 2 types of phones, 7945g and 7960. Both phones are working inbound and out and I can configure anything extension specific. I always get a warning in CCP that the firmware isn't on the flash or something similar. When trying to change the files associated with the background image location on the 7945 I can't find the firmware on the flash at all. This confuses me. Am I missing something? Its a 2911 CME v8.6.

I guess the bottom line is that I want to update or change the firmware files for the phones but guess they aren't on the flash. I would have thought it would have pulled that image from the phones themselves. Any input?

8 Replies 8

kyle_mars
Level 1
Level 1

Also, I downloaded cmterm-7945_7965-sccp.9-2-3.cop.sgn thinking it was the current firmware. Tried to upload it to the flash but am getting a SSH authentification error in CCP. Again, another CME problem I am lost on.

For CME you need to download the zip file and nothing else.

So by default there is no firmware on the flash for any phones until I download and install them on the flash?

The whole reason I started looking at this is because I wanted to change the background image on a 7945 but when following directions I don't see the files mentioned. Like the list.xml..

Can I pull the files from the phone to the flash?

You have to create all the files used for background preferences.

These have nothing to do with firmware files.

Its CME v8.6.. I don't see a zip file only the .sgn file..

I am as well trying to upload the firmware for a 7961 to a 2901 for the CME.  I get a general error when attempting to upload via the Cisco Configuration Professional.  I wonder the same in consideration in pulling the loaded firmware from the 7961 to the Flash on the router.  The next step I'm trying it to perform a direct tftp upload via telnet.

Hello Kyle,

For CME you would need to load all firmware files needed. By default they are not loaded to flash:

1. First you need to know which are the recommended phone loads for the version of CME that you are running.
2. Go to this link and it will tell you which files each phone type required in flash
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/requirements/guide/cme86spc.htm.html
3. Then go to the download page for CME and select "Unified Communications Manager Express Complete Support File Set"
4. Download CME tar bundle for version 8.6
5. Extract the zip file to your desktop
6. Find the correct .tar file for your phone types and copy it to flash:
7. Extract the tar file
8. Configure TFTP settings with the new phone load
9. Configure IP Telephony services with new phone load
10. Restart phones

Referece link:
How to Install and Upgrade Cisco Unified CME Software
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmeinstl.html#wp1071374

In the same .zip file you will find the list.xml file and example configuration with the 7970-71-75

Hope this helps,

-Luis A.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: