cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart phones loose internet access, while indicator shows connectivity

Marcelkov
Level 1
Level 1

I am using WRVS4400N in our company as a AP only.

Before some time, when majority of wireless clients were computers, everything worked fine. But now, when mobile devices are in majority, something strange is happening.

While portable computers still work fine, smart phone and tablet have extreme problems.

Although there is indicator that WiFi is connected and signal is strong, there is no guarantee that there is an internet access. Most of the times there is none. You can fix this by simply disconnecting and connecting WiFi on mobile device, but after a while, internet will be inacceasable again. Or you can wait and eventually you'll get to the internet access again.

I browsed through other posts, but I didn't cross any similar post. I will happily provide more info. Hope you have some good advice for me!

Thanks!

Marcel

6 Replies 6

blwright
Level 1
Level 1

Marcel,

What encryption level are you using and what are the models of the smartphones and tablets. Create a second SSID without security  to test that  the devices stay connected without issue. If so then this would point to security issue. Try disabling CTS Protection  (wireless >advanced settings).  Hope this helps.

Blake Wright

Cisco SBSC Network Engineer

I tried two different security (WPA and WPA2). I tried broadcasting SSID and not.

Today morning I disabled CTS with high hopes, but after 5 hours, my phone stopped communicating with the internet (time out).

I am changing my statement from above... looks like we have problems with smart phones only (models monitoed: HTC DesireS, HTC Sensation), because iPad itself had problems with WiFi and was replaced.

And now, I created third SSID, not broadcasted with no secutity, and will see how long I will stay connected, while my coleagues stay on the old SSID.

I have created new hidden SSID without security, and I stayed connected without problems, while my coworkers, who stayed on WPA2 secured SSID are still having problems.

Does this suggest to any permanent solution?

Marcel,

I would suggest creating another hidden network for the mobile devices and either dropping the security all together and using MAC filtering or trying WEP. One other thing is you can do static IP binding to MAC addresses and limit the DHCP scope to only the devices you have added.

Blake

Thanks for help so far!

Well, it looks like we have isolated the problem, because there is no problem with SSID with no or WEP security.

Smart phones, that otherwise have no problem with WPA or WPA2 security, obviously have issues on this particular device. I don't really want to have hidden network with poor security, and MAC filtering is extremely difficult to maintain, is there any other solution?

Marcel

Hi Marcel. I am having a very similar problem with 1130 access points and a WLC2112. I can get everything working fine with no security but as soon as you enable WPA it all falls down. Seems like it is a major issue but, unfortunately, the customer has not got Smartnet or Smartcare I cannot get them to help. I know this doesnt hekp you but it looks like we are not alone.Good luck with resolving it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: