Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Slow/delayed live video only on one computer, help me discover the problem

Unanswered Question
Apr 11th, 2012
User Badges:

Hello, I have a strange problem that took quite some time to investigate but still without solution.

I have 2 wvc210 cameras and both work fine with one computer accessing them from the LAN side. When I try to access the cameras with another computer supposed to be faster (better windows performance index in any computing area) I have slow video and the more I see the video the more it become delayed (I see things happening 6 seconds ago or more). I have tried swapping computers desks and cables thinking it could be a network problem but the computer with normal fluent video installed on the desk of the slow one using same network cable works fine, so it must be something in software or configuration. Both computers run vista business, the only difference is the one with fluent video has explorer 9 and the slow one explorer 8. I didnt experience difference in speed with other applications or playing recorded video, the problem is just with real time video stream from wvc210. Any idea of what could cause this problem? Help is really appreciated, I have no more ideas.

Minor second question: what is another camera model from cisco with similar wvc210 features but suitable for outdoor? PTZ not necessarely needed.

Thank you
Antonio

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
rmanthey Wed, 04/11/2012 - 12:33
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hello anto,

What are the video card specs. If the newer computer has less memory or processor power for the video card it will seem like the video is slow because it is slower at processing the feed from the camera.

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

anto_camera Fri, 04/13/2012 - 10:37
User Badges:

Hello Randy, thank you for your help.

The computer with slow video has more powerful hardware in any area, at the end of this message I have attached the info taken from vista dxdiag program.

Furthermore after taking this info I made some software upgrade to the "slow" video computer, I applied vista SP2 and Directx11 but the problem is still there. I also upgraded the monitor driver from generic to specific model. No change. another difference I noticed is that the computer with normal speed video has 2 Cisco activex plugins, the Cisco viewer and Cisco Alert, while the other has only cisco viewer plugin.

I am thinking now to use  a third computer and see what is the video speed, maybe analysing the differences I can understand where is the problem. I suspect more a software configuration problem rather than hardware power.

I just had another idea: could it be that the slow video computer has IE8 while the other IE9? Could IE9 speed video in some way? I am reluctant to upgrade browser but if it could help I'd do it...

Anybody knows in deep the Ciscoviewer plugin to understand what could cause video slow down and delay?? Is the bottleneck on getting the data from camera on network or in displaying it on screen? I have used this computer with Vlc player  to play HD movies (with far more bandwith than camera stream) and had no problem, they were fluent. So what could be wrong here? This problem is driving me nut...

Thank you for your help

Antonio

COMPUTER WITH NORMAL VIDEO:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 4/12/2012, 12:30:42

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Business (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.111025-0338)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: XPS M1330                      

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A15

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7250  @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz

Memory: 3070MB RAM

Page File: 1012MB used, 5328MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 8400M GS

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0427&SUBSYS_02091028&REV_A1

Display Memory: 1392 MB

Dedicated Memory: 113 MB

Shared Memory: 1279 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll

Driver Version: 7.15.0011.7644 (English)

DDI Version: 10

BGRA Supported: Yes

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 9/3/2008 23:54:00, 5898240 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

COMPUTER WITH SLOW VIDEO

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 4/12/2012, 12:23:17

Machine name: DELLXPS

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Business (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.101014-0432)

Language: English (Regional Setting: Italian)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Studio XPS 1340

BIOS: Ver 1.00 BIOS A11 PARTTBL<

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P7450  @ 2.13GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz

Memory: 2302MB RAM

Page File: 1172MB used, 3659MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M G

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 9400M G

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0866&SUBSYS_02711028&REV_B1

Display Memory: 913 MB

Dedicated Memory: 144 MB

Shared Memory: 768 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll

Driver Version: 8.17.0011.9562 (English)

DDI Version: 10

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 11/21/2009 04:34:54, 9333352 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

anto_camera Mon, 04/16/2012 - 08:24
User Badges:

Hi Randy,

I have tried all the advices of that article but the problem is still there. Sometime it disappear (video is real time live with no delay/slow down) some time reappears. The same computer is able to play fluently hd videos or mpg2 files so I guess it's something related to keep it up with network stream data rather than a graphic card speed issue. I tried to monitor bytes received on the network (with windows netowrk icon) and it seems when video slow down that data rate slow down too.

Anyway this is not a big issue to me since I have the other computer working fine. It's more my curiosity to understand in deep the camera. I can try a third computer and also I can try using the cisco software that came with cd, so far I only used the browser plugin (cisco viewer ocx)

Thank you

Antonio

robculbertson529 Thu, 07/27/2017 - 23:26
User Badges:

I can see several items on your laundry list already that could be causing a problem,

1. your running windows in 32 bit mode

thus will not support over 3.75 gig of system ram or video ram no matter how much you have

plugged in.

2.  both of the video cards would perform much more efficent if #1 was solved.  otherwise your vid cards are both above series 6 which should be fine, also if you have 2 copies of the GV NVR Multicam software running on 2 machines at the same time and you want to view on one or even on another 3rd machine  kill all live playback on all machines but one dedicated one machine and just run Multicam NVR on it anyways you will have to if your running a hybrid system ie: hybrid= part GV cams and part ONVIF 3Rd party cams using the dongle,  and run the other 2 individuals that want to view the live action to use the live viewer instead of multicam.  i was running into the same issues and found had both very powerfull intel series 8 processors 12 cores each 128 gb of dedicated ram on each with 2 nvidia 1080 founders cards in each machine on liquid and kicking up at almost 6 Ghz and still had the video lag (i call  it time delay otherwise known as the Janet Jackson Justin Timberlake syndrome) effect. The Haldas Bros. clued me into the same issue and solution which solved the problem but also i would build another machine for your video server  of at least an Intel 6770k 128gb memory nvidia 1180 w/ 8gb vram, stick it on an ASUS board run it on water only for low temps ie 50F 20C.  then use your little dells sff machines for viewing.  also another suggestion have one dedicated NAS unit to store your videos on I use a Qnap TV-ec880 8 bay x 6tb =48TB of storage at least 4 months of nonstop video for 4 cameras.  total cost if you already have the cams is roughly 6 thousand that would include one server as per pc specs i mentioned above and one prebuilt qnap nas 8 bay with 8 6 tb drives and 16 gb memory model i chose was the TVS-ec880 or theTV-EC880-RP R RACKMOUNT NAS  ONCE CONNECTED TO ANY PC JUST MAP THE DRIVE TO THE NAS AND POINT MULTICAM NVR TO THE MAPPED DRIVE TO NAS AND VIOLA YOUR RECORDING ON SPACE TO SPARE 

THANK YOU FOR LISTENING

[email protected]

asarutanond Mon, 04/16/2012 - 15:29
User Badges:

How are you connecting to the cameras? Have you tried connecting the slow camera directly to a computer (without router) and see if the stream speed changes?

BTW the other camera that is outdoor is PVC240 which also has infrared lamps so it could see in the dark up to 50 feet.

Alan.

anto_camera Wed, 04/18/2012 - 06:56
User Badges:

Hi Alan,
everything is wired in my setup, no wireless.

Actually there is no slow camera, rather there is a slow computer, while another computer is always showing realtime video with normal speed. I tried connecting the fast computer with the cable that goes to slow computer and the video works fine so must be something in the computer, strange because the slow computer plays fine other video, both locally and from the net and in hig definition ... (??)

Anyway I am more interested now in studying cisco cameras for outdoor since I am considering to buy one until they are on the market.

I should probably open another specific thread, anyway I am comparing vc240 vs pvc300 with vc030 enclosure. I like vc240 can see in the night but it seem vc240 does not have computer-Less recording to NAS which pvc300 has, also pvc300 is natively PTZ. hmmm...so far still confused which I should buy. pvc300 setup i scheaper in my location. I cannot figure yet which is easier to install outdoor (how many cables I need?) and more resistant to outdoor environment.

Thank you
Antonio

asarutanond Thu, 04/19/2012 - 21:14
User Badges:

Antonio,

I noticed that on the normal computer you're running SP2 but on the slow computer you're running SP1. Also there is a newer video card driver that you may want use that was posted last month. By the way are these 2 WVC210s recent? What are the firmware version on each one? On the slow computer you might want to demove the activeX plug-in and reconnect the camera so it goes through the plug-in install process again and see if that takes care of the issue.

Alan.

jvangorp Tue, 12/31/2013 - 05:53
User Badges:

@anto

On the PC where the lag is happening, set the WVC210 to use MPEG-4.

Having had the same problem, although with a different topology, I found that the above solved the lag problem.

The lag occurs when using MJPEG and Internet Explorer (any version).

My topology:

1 WVC210 and 3 PCs connected to a Cisco switch SG300-20.

PC1 and PC2: desktop PCs with identical hardware and Windows 7.

PC3: a laptop with Windows 8.

On PC1 the video stream of the WVC210 lags heavily, no matter what version of IE is used (8 through 11).

On PC2 the videostream of the WVC210 is smooth, no matter what version of IE is used (8 through 11).

On PC3 (which always had IE 10) the video stream from the WVC210 is smooth.

I could not find the cause for the lag on PC1 for a long time until I saw that on PC1 the WVC210 was set to use MJPEG.

On PC2 and PC3 the WVC210 was set to use MPEG-4.

When on PC1, I changed the WVC210 to use MPEG-4 the stream was smooth.

When, as a test, I changed the WVC210 on PC2 and PC3 to use MJPEG: heavy lag.

By the way:

With Firefox the button for choosing either MEG-4 or MJPEG is absent from the webgui of the WVC210.

But when you set it to MJPEG via IE and then watch the camera stream with Firefox: no lag.

Or if you stream simultaneously on one (1) PC with IE and Firefox: lag with IE, no lag with Firefox.

Assuming that Firefox is not automatically changing the stream to MPEG-4, the conclusion seems to be that IE cannot handle MJPEG streams wheras Firefox can. The two posts below seem to support this conclusion.

Regards,

John van Gorp

Ex-Cisco Small Business Product Marketing Manager

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5269376/cross-browser-solution-for-displaying-mjpeg-stream

http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3592

This is because your system become slow and you need to make the system performance faster, apply the below given tips :

1. Upgrade your RAM
  2. Clean out your Temp Files using Disk Cleanup
  3. Run the Disk Defragmenter
  4. Remove Malware and Spyware from your Computer
  5. Try the Performance troubleshooter.
  6. Delete programs you never use.
  7. Limit how many programs run at startup.
  8. Clean up your hard disk.
  9. Run fewer programs at the same time.
  10. Turn off visual effects.
  11. Restart regularly.
  12. Change the size of virtual memory.

For more visit: How to Make System fast Automatically

Actions

This Discussion