cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2960-S stacking question

D_Shofkom33x
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning. I followed the 3-switch Redundant stacking diagram and now when I boot up the stack Switch 2 is acutally Member 3 and Switch 3 is Member 2.

We plan on having Port-Channels spanning across Switch 1 - Master and Switch 2 (Member 3) of identical port types. Switch 3 (Member 2) is going to have 2 10GIG port channel created.

Is there going to be a problem renumbering the stack as they physically sit or should I just configure the devices based on thier logical member numbers.

I don't understand why the stack connection is Switch 1 - 1 ----> Switch 2 -1

Switch 2 - 2 ----> Switch 3- 1

Switch 3 - 2 ----> Switch 1 - 2

Any thoughts is greatly appreciated

3 Replies 3

robwils
Level 1
Level 1

Try the command: switch x renumber y

Where x is the current switch number and y is the number you want it to be.

HTH

I understand that you can renumber the switches I was just concerned with the redundancy since we are using multiple port channels. It's just strange that the physical stack arrangment does not line up with the logical stack arrangement when following the 3-switch redundant stack configuration.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Good Morning. I followed the 3-switch Redundant stacking diagram and now when I boot up the stack Switch 2 is acutally Member 3 and Switch 3 is Member 2.

There's a few reasons for this.

Firstly, the switch numbering is based on the MAC address.  If one powers up the stack simulatenously and for the first time the switch election takes place.  The stack master is based on the lowest MAC address.

So as what Rob has mentioned, do "switch N renumber NN" and power down;.  Make sure the switches you want to renumber are not stacked.

So if you want them stacked to the right order, here's how you do it:

1.  Power down the stack members;

2.  Attach the stack cables;

3.  Power up the stack members ONE AT A TIME and IN THE ORDER OF YOUR CHOOSING.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: