Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Small Business Router for Skype QoS

Hello

I heard something about Cisco technologies for Skype traffic recognition long time ago and now I need prioritize Skype traffic in my network.

Will these technologies work for actual version of Skype?

Are there any Small Business Routers suitable for my task?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Alexandr,

The 800, 1900 and 2900 series routers are marketed toward small to large businesses but are handled by our enterprise team. The small business class devices such as the RV series are very different. Currently at this time the small business devices (such as RV series) do not support dynamic QoS for Skype.

It might be worth while to look into the IOS based routers you mentioned. Find a local partner or if you are a partner check with partner assistance.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

rmanthey
Level 4
Level 4

Alexandr,

I am pretty sure Skype uses the SIP protocol for its voice traffic, and yes we can on most of our device provide QoS to that SIP traffic and provide priority to the traffic on your network.

I need to let you know though as soon as the traffic leaves your network and is on the internet cloud, the ISP will usually not prioritize your traffic the same way. You only have control over your equipment for priority.

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

Skype is not using the SIP protocol but a proprietary one.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Panos Asproulis написал(а):

Skype is not using the SIP protocol but a proprietary one.

Yes.

And I need prioritize this proprietary protocol.

There is no way a SMB router can identify the Skype stream. I know that Cisco IOS routers can do that using NBAR but I am not sure whether they can handle the current Skype protocol. There is a way to specify a custom port for Skype to use and if you do that then you can give a specific priority to that port in the router's QoS settings.

Hello Panos

Cisco 800, 1900 and 2900 series are IOS based and reffer to Small Business Series:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/routers_switches/index.html-tab-Routers

The point is that non-IOS based routers do not have the facility to identify Skype packets.

800, 1900 and 2900 series routers are IOS based and even have NBAR feature which you refer to.

Hello Alexandr,

The 800, 1900 and 2900 series routers are marketed toward small to large businesses but are handled by our enterprise team. The small business class devices such as the RV series are very different. Currently at this time the small business devices (such as RV series) do not support dynamic QoS for Skype.

It might be worth while to look into the IOS based routers you mentioned. Find a local partner or if you are a partner check with partner assistance.

Hello Robert,

Many thanks for you again

I will ask in enterprise forum.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: