Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180W vs ASA5505

Modulus85
Level 1
Level 1

Client:

12 users, 3 servers, 5 smartphones/tables on the WiFi (existing AP), future VPN server (maybe 5 simultaneous inbound VPN connections at the most with at least one client using a Mac), Cisco Gigabit small business switch

Needs:

Internet access, VPN connectivity, and firewall (reporting, close/open ports for custom applications as needed)

I was originally going to select an ASA5505-50 user device for the above client.  The device is highly regarded on the Internet, offers a command line interface, priced right for the budget and should perform all duties required by the client.

However, the addition of the RV180W to the Cisco product line has me questioning my choice.  Could a Cisco small business expert please comment on the two devices and answer a few questions below.

1)Does the RV180W offer a command-line interface?

2)Is the RV180W limited in the number of users it can support without having to purchase additional user licenses?

3)How are firmware/software upgrades handled with the RV180W?

4)What will the client be giving up if they choose the RV180W vs. the ASA5505?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

blwright
Level 1
Level 1

Lance,

please see my response below.

1)Does the RV180W offer a command-line interface? No, the interface is GUI based and accessed via web browser

2)Is the RV180W limited in the number of users it can support without having to purchase additional user licenses? With all Small Business devices a user license is not required. Your supported users will be based on your network subnet mask i.e /24 will provide up to 254 addresses/users 1 being the IP of the router.

3)How are firmware/software upgrades handled with the RV180W? Firmware upgrades are done through the GUI

4)What will the client be giving up if they choose the RV180W vs. the ASA5505? I don't know much about the Enterprise ASA but these are the immediate things that come to mind:

--The ability to have networks larger than 254 IP

-- Command Line

below is a link to the datasheet for the RV180w

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/routers/ps10907/ps9923/ps11996/c78-697399_data_sheet.html

Hope This Helps,

Blake Wright

Cisco SBSC Network Engineer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: