cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

which Gigabit transceiver module need to used to connecting 2 core switches located at different building about 2 Km distance

Hi Guys,

I  am faced with the challenge of connecting 2 core switches located at  different building about 2 Km distance from to each other. I choose to have on one end, the  core switch WS-C3750-24TS-E  and the other end with same core switch WS-C3750-24TS-E .

WS-C3750G-24PS-S === WS-C3750-24TS-E

The  distance between both building is about 2Km. which Gigabit transceiver module will be the best among the bellow ?

Any thing I should take note as I am implementing this for the  first time.Please advise, thanks.

Gigabit Transceiver Modules for WS-C3750-24TS-E :

GLC-SX-MM  GLC-T (10/100/1000)

GLC-LH-SM

GLC-ZX-SM

GLC-BX-D

GLC-BX-U

GLC-SX-MMD

GLC-LH-SMD

GLC-ZX-SM

CWDM SFP

SFP-GE-S

SFP-GE-L

SFP-GE-Z

DWDM SFP

DWDM SFP

4 Replies 4

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Given the parameters you provided and the information from the Gigabit Ethernet SFP Data Sheet, the solution for you would be the following:

GLC-LH-SMD    1000BASE-LX/LH long-wavelength; with DOM

or

GLC-LH-SM     1000BASE-LX/LH long-wavelength/long haul; without DOM

To reach 2Km, the transceivers require singlemode fiber running between the buildings. The SFP transceivers have "LC" style connectors.  Depending upon the optical connector on your backboane fiber plant, you may require a hybrid fiber optic jumper cable (different connectors on each end). These are available from most networking suppliers.

The installation should be straight forward.  Make sure the clean the connectors before plugging them into anything.  I have some info in the following document on fiber optic cleaning information. 

Hope this helps!

1000BASE-LX/LH long-wavelength/long haul; without DOM

End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Select Cisco Gigabit Ethernet SFP Modules

Get the one with DOM.

In addition to Tom and Leo's excellent advice - end-of-life or not, I always go for the DOM-capable transceivers when I get to specify them. Being able to show the transmit and receive optical power levels from the command line ("show int trans Gix/y det") is priceless.

Being able to show the transmit and receive optical power levels from the command line ("show int trans Gix/y det") is priceless.

Amen bro.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: