Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't enable MPLS on 6509-E

DuncanM2008
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've got a 6509-E in the lab at the moment for some pre-deployment testing, however I don't seem to be able to enable MPLS on a select interface.

router#conf t

router(config)# interface gi1/48

router(config-if)#mpls ip

router(config)#

As you can see after I enter the "MPLS IP" command it simply backs out of interface level configuration back to global exec, and naturally the MPLS command doesn't show in configuration for that interface.

Am I missing something obvious or do I have a genuine issue?

I'm running a SUP720-3BXL with WS-X6748-GE-TX line cards with the DFC upgrade (WS-F6700-3BXL).

The IOS is: s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI2a.bin

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Duncan,

Is the port pre-configured with no switchport and assigned an IP address?

It may be possible that the MPLS is only supported on selected line cards but I have no personal experience with 6500 boxes so this has to be taken with a grain of salt. Hopefully someone with bigger experiences joins this thread!

Best regards,

Peter

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS)

I've never seen that command before.  Try the link above.

Leo,

You mean using the tag-switching ip ? Right, that was the original command to activate MPLS and its predecessor, Tag Switching... yeah, I remember seeing that command on earlier IOSes. Most of recent IOSes have reverted to using mpls ip instead of the tag-switching ip. Thanks for pointing this out, hopefully it solves the mystery here!

Best regards,

Peter

Hello,

Many thanks for your input Peter & Leo, in the end I think this problem boiled down to a supervisor issue of some sort.

Previously when I treid to enable the command it was after I'd done some NSF/SSO testing by rebooting a supervisor, and was running from the new Active SUP (was previously standby). So possibly a dCEF sync issue of some sort, based on the fact MPLS requries an operational FIB table from CEF.

Once I cold-powered the chassis again and let everything start fresh I was able to enter the command succesfully, might be worth noting with 12.2SXI I also had to enable:

"mpls label-protocol ldp"

Seems because 12.2SXI has support of both TDP & LDP that LDP isn't default.

Once I did that the LDP session came up with the 7204 VXR running IOS 15.

Also "tag-switching ip" isn't supported on 12.2SXI, I checked this first to see if needed to run the original incarnation of MPLS / Tag Switching.

Many Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco