cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W Choppy Video over the LAN from Wireless

Net_Connect473
Level 1
Level 1

Video viewed across the LAN from a client connected to the RV220W's wireless interface is very choppy (both the audio and video portion).  If I swap out the RV220W for a different brand of Router and Access Point, the problem goes away completely.  So, the issue definitely appears to be with the RV220w.  The videos are being played from a file share on a LAN server.  The videos are being played as a uni-cast stream, no multi-cast involved.

I'm not running the video across VLANS, so there's not a routing issue involved.  My router firmware 1.0.3.5

Thing's I've tried so far:

1.  Enabling WMM -- No impact on the quality of the video playback

2.  Disabling WMM -- No impact on the quality of the video playback

3.  Change the RTS/CTS settings -- No impact on the quality of the video playback

4.  Changing the Wireless RTS Fragmentation Size -- No impact on the quality of the video playback

5.  Changing the maximum number of unidentified sessions and changing the number half open sessions -- No impact on the quality of the video playback, but a huge improvement in the speed of WAN http requests!!

6.  Changing the short and long retry timeouts on the wireless -- No impact on the quality of the video playback

Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, how did you solve the problem?

4 Replies 4

panos.asproulis
Level 1
Level 1

I am streaming videos to my iPad from my RV220W on a regular basis without these problems you experience. You may be experiencing interference from neighbouring access points. Try choosing a WiFi frequency that is not used by others in your neighbourhood. Alternatively, contact Cisco Support and ask for a recent beta firmware for the router.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I second the Wi-Fi interference problem.

Check for channels, other radios in the same frequency.

Ubiquity has good scanners.

On the other hand, we have had wrt54gl burn out their radio.

Best luck

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

techvana41
Level 1
Level 1

In my experience both the RV220W and RV180W are very sensative to wifi interference.  I have a case open with support now about this in fact.  If I change equipment, my speeds increase 4x in the same location.

Net_Connect473
Level 1
Level 1

It seems the RV220w I ended up with had a glitchy wireless card installed.  Small Business Support was excellent and helped get a replacement shipped to me quickly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: