Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Subnetting & BGP Announcement

veils1de123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have our own /24 which we want to subnet into smaller blocks i.e. /25 /26's at the same time I want to still announce our /24 to our bgp providers.

Can anyone provide me with some links or documentations to how I can do this please?

the end result I want to take our /24 turn it into smaller IP blocks and then put them into different public vlans.

Kind Regards

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not clear whether you intend to use the /24 to create various subnets within your network (this works quite well and you still just advertise the /24 to your BGP upstream) or whether you want to divide the /24 into various subnets which will appear at different places in the Internet. This last alternative is problematic. Can you clarify which it is that you want to do?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Alirio Zavarce
Level 1
Level 1

That's fine. If you subnet your /24, you'll need to advertise a /24 aggregate address out to the Internet. Use the summary only parameter in the aggregate command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094826.shtml

veils1de123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

thanks for your comments.

To give you a better understanding we have two switches running advanced ip services with 2gb etherchannel running between both switches, isp 1 lands onto switch 1 and isp 2 lands on switch 2 creating a redundant network.

we have a single /24 running which all we want to do is create smaller subnets within our network and still manage to be able to advertise our /24 to both isp's.

hope that helps.

The additional explanation is helpful. You should be able to subnet your /24 in whatever way you want on your switches. You would run BGP with each ISP and would advertise your /24 to each ISP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Due to the fact we're using two cisco 3750 switches running on advanced ip services, should i be looking at SVI?

You could do either SVIs or Routed Interfaces.

Hi,

Create a /24 route on the switches and point them to null0: with AD 254 and then using a network statement under BGP process advertise this route to your ISP's. This will do the job.

ip route x.y.z.0 255.255.255.0 null0: 254

router bgp xxx

network x.y.z.0 mask 255.255.255.0

HTH

Hitesh Vinzoda

Pls rate useful posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card