Have a question about 5508 controllers and WLANS

Unanswered Question
Apr 19th, 2012
User Badges:

I have recently installed and configured a Cisco 5508 controller and Cisco Prime NCS. We currently have autonomous AP's at most of our remote locations. I am testing the Cisco 3502i AP along with the 5508 controller and am running into a problem with our WLAN configuration. At most of our sites we have two common WLANS (or SSID's). Say Public and Private. Public has internet only access and is used for any guest that may visit one of our locations. Private has full network access. Each WLAN is own its own subnet so the client gets an ip address depending on which WLAN they connect to. The WLAN name (Public and Private) is the same at all locations for ease of configuration and documentation. Using the 5508 controller I'm running into issues with DHCP handing out the correct ip address to the client for the WLAN that they connect to. I was told that I could create AP groups for each location and assign a DHCP scope to the AP group. The problem that I am running into is that an AP can only be assigned to one AP group and that AP group only has one DHCP scope assigned to it. So I can only get one WLAN to work (Public or Private). Any ideas on how to get both to work would be appreciated. I think I am just missing something.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Scott Fella Thu, 04/19/2012 - 07:11
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

You need to configure the remote site access points in h-reap/FlexConnect mode. This will allow you to say... Private SSID you use this vlan locally. Public SSID you use this vlan locally.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

Actions

This Discussion