Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Upgrading 1042 Access point to lightweight Access Point

Unanswered Question
Apr 21st, 2012
User Badges:

Hi,

I had a new AIR-AP1042N-N-K9 access point and I tried to convert it into lightweight mode with the image

c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.124-21a.JA2.tar . I used all the methods but the AP is getting hanged at one position after decompressing the new IOS. The capture of the process is below:

unspecified.

using  eeprom values

WRDTR,CLKTR: 0x83000800 0xc0000000

RQDC ,RFDC : 0x80000038 0x00000186

using ÿÿÿÿ ddr static values from serial eeprom

ddr init done

Running Normal Memtest...

Passed.

IOS Bootloader - Starting system.

FLASH CHIP:  Numonyx P33

Checking for Over Erased blocks

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Xmodem file system is available.

DDR values used from system serial eeprom.

WRDTR,CLKTR: 0x83000800, 0xc0000000

RQDC, RFDC : 0x80000038, 0x00000186

PCIE0: link is up.

PCIE0: VC0 is active

PCIE1: link is up.

PCIE1: VC0 is active

PCIEx: initialization done

flashfs[0]: 6 files, 2 directories

flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories

flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 32385024

flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 2271232

flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 30113792

flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 21 seconds.

Reading cookie from system serial eeprom...Done

Base Ethernet MAC address: c4:64:13:c2:f3:c0

Ethernet speed is 1000 Mb - FULL duplex

Loading "flash:/c1140-rcvk9w8-mx/c1140-rcvk9w8-mx"...#########################################################################################################################################################################################################################

File "flash:/c1140-rcvk9w8-mx/c1140-rcvk9w8-mx" uncompressed and installed, entry point: 0x4000

executing...

enet halted

ŽÁÿÿð r{àÿ¶c

After this I am getting the junk characters and everytime AP hangs at this position.

Please suggest what to do in this case. I want to convert this into lightweight access point.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Sat, 04/21/2012 - 20:12
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

The WAP is faulty.  Get the WAP replaced.

The WAP is covered with Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Shaheen Sidana Sun, 04/22/2012 - 11:13
User Badges:

Hi leolaohoo,

Thanks for the reply but I am having two APs with same kind of problem and these APs are brand new. I opened the seal of the box for these APs. Acutally it was ordered wrong. I want to order AIR-LAP but by mistake AIR-AP delievered. So I decided to convert these. But while converting I found the same thing both the APs.

Let me know if both the APs are faulty.

Thanks

Shaheen

Leo Laohoo Sun, 04/22/2012 - 15:23
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Thanks for the reply but I am having two APs with same kind of problem and these APs are brand new.

You're not the first nor will you be the last.  Manufacturing defect happens.  I have RMA-ed a number of brand-new WAPs in the last 6 months.  Some won't power up, some won't even boot.

Shawn Lebbon Wed, 10/24/2012 - 13:52
User Badges:

I just had a similar problem and kept finding this post via google.  In my case at least the WAP wasn't faulty, (and it had been working autonomously just fine for months) but just had an 'incompatbile (too old) firmware loaded on it.  See my story below:

On some new (early 2012 production) 1142n APs I used lwapp recovery image "c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.124-21a.JA2.tar", however when using this image on a similar-age 1042n (which should have been compatible) it accepted and downloaded the firmware but upon image boot would crash out and the console would just show garbage. In that case I used image "c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.124-23c.JA.tar" to flash the 1042n and it came up just fine. I had to recover the first one in ROMMON equivalent on the AP by pressing ESC at console during image loading (############### progress bar) or by holding 'mode/reset' button on hardware during power-on and not releasing until red LED flashing (about 30 seconds). Once in pre-boot environment the following commands should be necessary (but I had trouble, so keep reading):

ether_init

tftp_init

set

(check that IP addressing info is correct, if not use SET commands and case-sensitive variables to make correct), then:

tar -xtract tftp://10.0.0.101/c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.124-23c.JA.tar flash:

This requires a subnet-local TFTP server that works with wildcard ip addressing (for some reason TFTP in this mode only uses 255.255.255.255 ip addressing! -- Cisco router tftp-server is NOT compatible. Most other TFTP servers are also not… at least some can be (changing config in ubuntu tftpd service for example).

I ended up giving up on the TFTP and using xmodem to transfer at console. This requires a terminal client that supports xmodem (or xmodem-1K) like Hyperterm (not PuTTY). (Change baud rate for quicker load: around 2 min per MB for 115200 baud vs 20 min per MB for the 9600 default)

Use copy xmodem: flash:filename.tar to load file, then use tar -xtract flash:file.tar flash: to extract.

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content