Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 7.1 UPGRADE - Steps

Hi All

We have a customer running ( Unity Connection 7.1) , recently the server experiencing issues witg Daily backup intermitten failures, Cisco TAC recommeded to apply ES patch to fix the issue, does any one know whats the exact process to perform the patch upgrade and steps i need to be aware of prior to the upgrade.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

To answer your specific questions...

Backups are always a good idea before any upgrade or patch, but in this case they will not be required as a part of the process, only if the process fails at some point.

The Unity server will have to restart as a part of the patch process, so all services will restart as a part of that.

Yes, the way upgrades and patches work with the Cisco Linux platform is that the upgrade/patch installs to the inactive parttion.  This way you can install the upgrade while the server is functioning.  However, either when the installation is finished, or at a later time to coincide with a maintenance window, you must switch active and inactive partitions to put the new version into service.  This does involve a reboot.

As for a CUCM is concerned, the ports will go out of service and then come back into service.  Nothing should need to be done.  However, you will need to test that.  I have seen voicemail ports that need to be reset from the CUCM side in order to function after an upgrade or an install.

Chris

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's the same as any upgrade, patch, ES, COP, etc you do in any of our linux appliances.

You go to the OS admin and use the install/upgrade option.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Java

Thanks for the quick response.

I know that step but what i want to know is the whole process like

1. Do i need to take the latest backup copy prior doing the upgrade

2. What services need to be restarted after the upgrade

3. Does the whole serve requires rebooting.

4. do i need to do anythign on CUCM serve after Unity server upgrade

Like basically the whole process to perform the upgrade in a production network.

Cheers

To answer your specific questions...

Backups are always a good idea before any upgrade or patch, but in this case they will not be required as a part of the process, only if the process fails at some point.

The Unity server will have to restart as a part of the patch process, so all services will restart as a part of that.

Yes, the way upgrades and patches work with the Cisco Linux platform is that the upgrade/patch installs to the inactive parttion.  This way you can install the upgrade while the server is functioning.  However, either when the installation is finished, or at a later time to coincide with a maintenance window, you must switch active and inactive partitions to put the new version into service.  This does involve a reboot.

As for a CUCM is concerned, the ports will go out of service and then come back into service.  Nothing should need to be done.  However, you will need to test that.  I have seen voicemail ports that need to be reset from the CUCM side in order to function after an upgrade or an install.

Chris

Hi Chris and Java

Thanks very much for your help...the upgrade has been completed successfully.