Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP calls with G729 codec

moath.almogbel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have CUCM (v  7.1.5) connected to a SIP provider using a SIP trunk.

The sip provider only accepts G729, so I created a new Region and Device Pool to use G729 as the audio codec and assigned the SIP trunck to it.

Also I am using MTP in the SIP trunk configuration, and I have MRG defined that contains MTP's

My probelm is that when I place the call from my IP Phone 7940, there is no SDP sent to the provider so no negotiation occurs and the call drops.

So can any one help me how can I place calls using G729 codec over a SIP trunk

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First of all CUCM based MTP is only G711 you will need to define IOS MTPs as G729, you can define software IOS MTPs wuthout the need for PVDMs.  Also, I would strongly suggest you use a CUBE for your deployment as that supports Early-Offer natively.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

markcarat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Could you post your dial peer configuration?

Mark

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First of all CUCM based MTP is only G711 you will need to define IOS MTPs as G729, you can define software IOS MTPs wuthout the need for PVDMs.  Also, I would strongly suggest you use a CUBE for your deployment as that supports Early-Offer natively.

HTH,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the reply. Do I need to configure a transcoder also? or only the IOS MTP will be enough?

Thanks!

If you define all regions to be G729 and all your calls come in as G729 you will not need transcoders.  Not a bad idea to define some and monitor usage though.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: