Recovery CUCM configuration from subscriber to publisher

Unanswered Question
Apr 23rd, 2012

I have a customer who is running CUCM 7.1.5. He has a publisher and 1 subscriber. His publisher had a hardware fail on the hard disk and he missed the configuration. However the subscriber is still alive. He doesn't have a backup. Is there any way to recovery the publisher configuration from the subscriber. I have heared that there is a feature to do it but this is available from the 8.6 version.

Does anybody know this feature?. Is there another way to get back the configuration to the publisher?

Thanks

Regards

Sebastian

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Gordon Ross Mon, 04/23/2012 - 23:40

Your only option is to log a call with Cisco TAC. I believe they can occasionally do the magic of recoving a pub from a sub.

I'm not aware that the ability to recover from a subscriber is in 8.6, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

GTG

Aaron Harrison Tue, 04/24/2012 - 00:41

Hi

In 8.6 (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/8_6_1/drsag861.html#wp107055) there is apparently an option when doing a publisher-only (i.e. not full cluster, as that would obviously negate this feature) to select a subscriber from which to pull the config database after the publisher restore is complete.

As you are on 7.x you won't be able to use that feature, and you can't upgrade to do it without having the cluster fully up either.

Regards

Aaron Harrison

Principal Engineer at Logicalis UK

Please rate helpful posts...

Gordon Ross Tue, 04/24/2012 - 00:54

aaronharrison wrote:

In 8.6 (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/8_6_1/drsag861.html#wp107055) there is apparently an option when doing a publisher-only to select a subscriber from which to pull the config database after the publisher restore is complete.

But wasn't the aim to restore the pub from a sub ? It seems you have to start with a pub restore (of some form) before you can pull the config from the sub.

Surely, we need to skip this Restore Pub step, so we can just yank it's config from a sub ?

GTG

Aaron Harrison Tue, 04/24/2012 - 01:49

Hi Gordon

As I understand it you do a restore of the publisher from backup - this restore includes not only the config DB, but on a good day will include platform configuration, certificates, etc etc. At the end of that you have a publisher restored to a potentially out-of-date DB, so you then pull the CCM DB from a subscriber.

The DB is (more or less) the only replicated thing... so other elements of the publisher config wouldn't be available from a sub.

So yes, you do need a pub backup to start with... but it needn't be up to date (just matching the current version). Most engineers would take a least one backup when comissioning a system or after an upgrade before handing over to the customer.

I know it's not really a solution for this post but it's a useful feature to know about anyway.

If TAC couldn't help all I might consider is mining the important data from the remaining pub using AXL. It wouldn't be most people's kind of fun getting it out (or back in) and there would be a lot of work to do... but the results would probably be more accurate than rebuilding from memory.

Aaron

smhernandez Tue, 04/24/2012 - 07:10

Ok, to be sure about this feature, I'm understanding that you need to have a previous backup file generated from the pub. In this case, you could choose the backup file from the sub and restore this file to the pub.

If you don't have a previuos backup file, you can't restore the configuration from the sub.

Is my idea right?

Thanks.

Regards

Sebastian

jagifoto1 Wed, 05/02/2012 - 17:34

Hi Sebastian., Finally could you solve this issue? I have a similar problem with a Cisco Presence Server. Additional to before, is important know if this issue is possible doing in any aplication Cisco UC (Callmanager, Unity Connection, CCX, etc...)

Javier

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted April 23, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Stats:
Replies:8 Avg. Rating:5
Views:759 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard

Rank Username Points