cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vfc and multihop FCoE in Fabric interconnect

Eddy Christian
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question. Connections from Fabric interconnect to chassis are FCoE. As far as I know, the interface port in vfc should be VF port when we're using FCoE instead of F port. But the running config and interface brief from FI shows that the operating mode is F port.

It's the same when I checked the port from FCoE server to N5K (F port). Although, I'm sure that N5K support this VF port.

I don't think FI support this enhanced interface type yet (VF,VE,VN).

Can someone explain to me why this type interface is different (F port instead of VF port) when we use FCoE?

and is it supported the multihop FCoE now in 2012 to connect 6100 -- N5K? I've read it somewhere from Cisco slides that it was planned release in 2012.

thanks

EC

5 Replies 5

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Ec,

1) Yes we currently do not support multihop FCoE, this should be coming later in the year.

2) Yes the FI does not support the enhanced modes currently.

3) Which vfc interface are you refering to, is it the vfc interface created for the blades / serivce-profile?

./Abhinav

Hi, Abhinav

I connect to nxos from the FI and do the command "sh int br". It shows there that the vfc use "F port" as the operating mode. What port should it be as the oper mode? F port or VF port if we use FCoE?

EC

Eddy

FI does not support Northbound FCoE at this time. Since the FCoE is between the FI and the server, you would not see it as a VF port. So vFC would be a F or a TF port on the FI going down to the server blade Mezz card.

prkrishn,

does the northbound or southbound traffic have something to do with the FI port type here?

I'm not too clear with your statement that "vFC would be a F or a TF port on the FI going down to the server blade Mezz card." Does it have something to do with the end host mode in FI ?

Eddy

vFC bound to CNAs will always be in F or TF mode. This is irrespective of the FI being in host mode and switch mode.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: