Recommendations for Training

Unanswered Question
Apr 24th, 2012

Hey Everyone,

I have been tasked with attaining my CCNA Voice and CCNP by my company.  I already have my CCENT, and have signed up with Todd Lammle's Boot Camp to finish off my CCNA.  I'm hoping to get the other certifications through that route as well, but I'm being pressed to try to take ICOMM sooner rather than later.

There is a class offered through TrainUp.com for an internet based class coming up soon.  There is also classes through Ascolta and New Horizons as well.

I'd like to get everyones opinion on these courses.  I'm trying to avoid taking the courses other than through Todd Lammle for a couple of reasons.  1) I dont think I should be studying different topics at the same time, and I know I need to focus on my CCNA since my bootcamp is less than a month away.  2) I just dont think I'm going to get the level of training through these other providers.

Please let me know your opinions on this as it will give me good discussion points for when I meet with my management.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Rob Huffman Tue, 04/24/2012 - 12:34

Hi John,

One compelling reason to wait to take the ICOMM v.8 course is that you require

a valid CCNA as a prerequisite for the CCNA-Voice exam (cert) so it only makes

sense to study and acquire your CCNA as the first step.

CCNA Voice Prerequisites

Valid Cisco

CCNA

or any Cisco CCIE certification can act as a prerequisite.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le3/learning_certification_type_home.html

Cheers!

Rob

PS: you could also tell management ..."I need a life" (just kidding as most managers have

a very limited sense of humor )

j-huthmaker Tue, 04/24/2012 - 12:42

I wholeheartedly agree.  Unfortunatley, my employers goals arent towards certification.  They just want me to learn how to manage Call Manager, UCCX, etc, and also reprogram our Routers and Switches.  We have a large MPLS WAN over many types of connectivity (T-1, T-3, MultiLink T-1, Etc).

Of course after taking these courses I want to get my certs, but thats a personal goal.

Rob Huffman Tue, 04/24/2012 - 12:52

Hi John,

I see where you are coming from

Even the New Horizons ICOMM v.8 lists these (CCNA) as the course prerequisites, so I don't think it just

applies to the cert;

Prerequisite(s) or equivalent knowledge:
Cisco® Interconnecting Cisco® Networking Devices Part 1 (ICND1)
Cisco® Interconnecting Cisco® Networking Devices Part 2 (ICND2)

http://www.newhorizons.com/content/outlineDisplay.aspx?SKU=200004192&partNumber=3663CWEE

Cheers!

Rob

j-huthmaker Tue, 04/24/2012 - 14:58

I spoke with them, and they stated it wasnt a requisite for the course.  Of course it is for the certification.  Since I'm not paying for the classes I have to satisy my employers requirements before I can satisfy my own.

donmitswv Tue, 04/24/2012 - 16:00

I used Unitek out in Fremont CA (right in between San Jose and Oakland) I couldn't have been more pleased with my training and quality of the school. I took their CCVP 14 day boot camp www.unitek.com

I already had my CCNA when I went there but you would be fine as long as your familiar with ios and basic routing commands. I can't speak for the quality of their other programs but I'm sure they are all of the same quality. It's not a "guaranteed pass" kind of school. They do have a very high certification rate though.

Good luck with your endeavors

Don

j-huthmaker Tue, 04/24/2012 - 16:18

I checked them out.  They seem a bit pricey.  They're ICOMM course is only a 3 day bootcamp, and doesnt include hotel.  It's price is about the same as everyone else, but everyone elses is a 5 day course.  I'll add their info to the mix though, and present it as an option.

j-huthmaker Wed, 04/25/2012 - 16:59

Thank you for the recommendation.  I didnt realize their 14 day boot camp included CCNA Voice last night when I saw your post.  I spoke to a rep today who explained it all to me.  Perfect for me.  I got my manager to sign off on it.  I couldnt be more stoked.  On July 1st, I should have my CCNP Voice.

j-huthmaker Wed, 04/25/2012 - 17:33

Yes, I went with Unitek.  The 14 day course starting on June 18 is the one I'll be in.  I'm pretty thrilled.  On May 21st I'll be taking my CCNA boot camp with Todd Lammle.  He's the guy who quite litterally wrote the book (Sybex CCNA) about Cisco.  Then I'll have a couple of weeks off to digest the info.  Then I'll be heading up to Fremont to get my CCNP Voice.  Amazing.

Rob Huffman Wed, 04/25/2012 - 05:55

Hi John,

If your employer is paying for your training, I'd be tempted to just go for it

Many of us out here would love for our managers to pick up these costs

in such a tough economy so why not give it a try. If the certs can come later

then you really have nothing to lose. Make sure the ICOMM course is 5 day

"Hands On" training and try to arrange for it to be taken after your Boot Camp.

I'm sure with some creative scheduling you can make it work for both parties

and keep management happy.

Cheers!

Rob

PS: don't forget that Cert exams can be taken in any order so you could always

take ICOMMv.8 prior to your CCNA

j-huthmaker Wed, 04/25/2012 - 06:32

Thanks everyone.  I found out late last night that a CCNP isnt required to attain a CCNP Voice.  I assumed it did, since a CCNA is required to get the CCNA Voice.

Luckily for me, the classes are kind of hard to come by, so I dont think it's going to be possible to get in to an ICOMM class before my CCNA boot camp.  What I found last night was a course that is given about a week after my CCNA class, and then a 12 day CCNP Voice boot camp given about a week after that.

I need to call today to see if the classes have space.  If so, I think I'll be going from CCENT to CCNP Voice on my employers dime over the course of less than 60 days.

donmitswv Wed, 04/25/2012 - 17:50

Good deal man, like I said, Unitek is a really good place. The accommodations are really good too. I took my family out for the fourteen days and made a little vacation out of it. The first 4-5 days are pretty insane. We wound up taking a study day over the first weekend, then a few days towards the end of the class to do lab exercises, work through sections you need to work on etc... My instructor was great he really knew his stuff. Pay close attention to troubleshooting of your not used to reading CUCM Traces, that was probably the hardest part for me but I got through it. 5 of the 14 in our class left with their ccvp, myself included. Then several got theirs shortly after so again, can't say enough about the school!

Good luck man

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

j-huthmaker Wed, 04/25/2012 - 19:18

Thank you very much for the recommendation.  I am extremley excited to say the least.  I've been working proffessionaly with computers for over 15 years, and the only class an employer paid for was Windows NT 4 Server .  I was working for a company at the time who was a Microsoft Certified Trainer, so it cost them nothing to give me the class.

The opportunity I'm being offered here essentially does not ever happen.  I was hired as a Senior Systems Engineer at a time when they're systems and network engineer departed.  I offered up that I had my CCENT and have gotten through the minor network reprograms that have happened.  Rather than hire another network engineer, my employer is flat out paying for me to get my CCNP Voice.  I am unbeleivably blessed.  I look forward to joining your ranks in the near future.

I also want to say for the record; although very few will see this post; the help I've recieved from the Cisco forums is unmatched.  Everyone and their mother thinks theyre a Microsoft Expert and their forums are essentially useless.  The people on these forums are not only extremley helpful, but they go out of their way to fix your problem.

j-huthmaker Sun, 05/27/2012 - 17:10

I wanted to follow up on this thread.  I just got back yesterday from Todd Lammle's (GlobalNet) CCNA Boot Camp in Dallas, TX.  I passed with an 881 out of 1000.

What a great class.  I highly recommend it.  I haven't taken other Cisco specific classes before, but I have taken several other Information Technology courses.  Todd really know's his stuff.  He definitley sets you up for success.  If you don't understand something, he makes certain you do.  He cared very much about every one of his students, and wanted them all to pass.  There is no doubt in my mind that he does this more for the pleasure of seeing everyone succeed than for the profit.

Even after the day ends, he is at your disposal.  If you can't find him hanging out at the hotel (which is most likley), he is very responsive to his emails.  The hotel where you stay is really nice.  The food is excellent, and Breakfast and Lunch are included.  There's tons of restaurant's nearby for dinner, or you can just eat there.

I have only good things to say, and could go on and on.  If your looking to pass your CCNA, it is absolutley worth every penny.

Rob Huffman Thu, 05/31/2012 - 05:55

Hey John,

Thanks for posting back with your results here +5 Congrats on passing!

This type of follow-up is much appreciated!

Cheers!

Rob

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night" - Springsteen

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted April 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Stats:
Replies:15 Avg. Rating:5
Views:907 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.